Canvas

Southern anarchists gather at Carrboro book fair

On Saturday Anarchist and Radicals from all over the region will gather in the town of Chapel Hill to discuss political unrest, classism and general systems of oppression in the form of a book fair.

During the fair, attendees will be able to browse the different publication stands, as well as attend workshops and listen to different speakers. In addition to books, locals will also be displaying anarchist art.

“One of the goals is to bring locals who are curious about radical politics to come in contact with each other,” said Brian Dee, one of the main organizers for the event.

While past workshops have given townspeople the opportunity to learn about anarchist graffiti as well as the occupy movement, this year’s fair brings in speakers from Turkey, France and all corners of the world in addition to the local and regional radicals.

To raise money for political prisoners, the Carrboro Anarchist Book fair is hosting an after party from 9 p.m. to 2 a.m. at The Nightlight.

“It’s important to connect local events to events on the other side of the planet,” Dee said. “Education shouldn’t be something you have to pay thousands of dollars for. It is something everybody should participate in.”

For many, the fair is not only a safe space to discuss anarchist politics, but also a place to discuss intersectionality, oppression and other current issues. The UNControllables, UNC’s own radical organization, says it is excited to participate in the fair. Junior Latin American studies major James Hoopes believes it will be a learning experience.

“I am excited that it brings anarchist and radicals from all over the south together,” Hoopes said. “I’m interested in learning how other groups organize and how we can use their skills and apply them to our group at UNC.”

Both Dee and Hoopes said that anarchism is not only an ideology that sought to end government, but also one that stresses autonomy and equality. At the same time, Hoopes does not see anarchism as another political party, but as an active entity that should host teach-ins and submit articles. Hoopes said he hopes the fair will inspire local anarchists to get involved.

“A lot of the ways anarchists bring their messages to people is not by asking them to support us,” Hoopes said. “One of the anarchist values is that the best way to learn is by doing.”