Canvas

Second annual Battle of the Bands kicks off Saturday

Last year, local bar He’s Not Here featured the first Phi Mu Alpha sponsored Battle of the Bands.

The event featured a lot of beer, great music, and managed to raise almost $5,000 for a great cause. And tonight’s second annual Battle of the Bands is expected to be just as big — if not bigger.

When sophomore Holland Gallagher, of Gentleman Contender, performed at last year’s Battle of the Bands, he said he had a great time sharing his unique style with the attendees.

“He’s Not Here was absolutely packed from wall to wall,” he said.

Fourteen different bands are expected to share the stage and showcase the local talent of the Chapel Hill area.

“There’s just a lot of enthusiasm for local music at these things,” said Brady Lawrence from Braden and Brother, a band performing in the battle.

The musicians said they are really excited to be a part of a great event that grows every year and to see what other groups have to offer.

“A lot of times you could meet a band at a Battle of the Bands and end up playing more shows with them in the future,” Lawrence said. “It's a lot of fun and honestly doesn't feel like a competition.”

Although winning would be nice, most of the bands aren’t particularly focused on it. Instead, they participate in order to help Phi Mu Alpha, the campus music interest fraternity, to help raise money and to have fun.

Justin Ellis of Clockwork Kids said, “We're really excited to play the battle of the bands on Saturday, mostly because it allows us to cut loose and to play with some of the best musical talent Chapel Hill has to offer. Winning doesn't really matter to us, as our main goals for playing this event are to help out our many friends in PMA.”

The night is also great advertisement for some of the bands that are looking to gain more fans.

Ellis said that the Battle of the Bands should help them gain new interest in their EP, which will be released April 3.

Senior music major EJ Harrison , the social director of Phi Mu Alpha, has planned the event in the past and is now organizing the this year's Battle of The Bands. 

Harrison said that Battle of the Bands helps to raise money for two scholarships that will go to the music department.

“If you have a good cause, there’s no reason people won’t keep coming back,” he said. “You can just sit down, drink beer, and listen to good music, and you’ll be helping the cause.”

This year, the event will only allow entry for those over 21. Some musicians and brothers said they are worried about how this will affect the night.

“The Battle of the Bands has always been the most fun, packed and hectic night at He’s Not Here.”

This year, despite the change in age requirements, they are still preparing for an amazing night.

“I haven’t heard of anyone who doesn’t have a good time there.” Gallagher said.