Canvas

A Day in the Life: communication studies major Kelly Swanson

Throughout the spring semester, Canvas will profile a student from every artistic academic program at UNC each week — from dramatic art to creative writing to photojournalism.

In the fourth installment of the series, staff writer Rupali Srivastava profiled sophomore communications studies major Kelly Swanson.

After trading in her philosophy textbooks for camera equipment, sophomore Kelly Swanson found a way to incorporate what she loves — film, production and literature — into her studies at UNC.

The communication studies major has a focus in digital media and production and has minors in global cinema and writing for the screen and stage, in an effort to combine technology, film theory and comparative literature.

Swanson had been interested in film for several years before making it the primary focus of her college career. Now, she takes a variety of interdisciplinary classes, which she said enhance her skills as a writer, producer and filmmaker.

“Film came from theater, which came from literature, so in order to understand the deeper elements, I have to have a background in both theater and in literature,” Swanson said.

“So I feel like comparative literature classes and theater classes from different departments really help with that fundamental understanding.”

Andrew Allen, a sophomore communication studies and studio art double major, is also interested in the things that contribute to good cinematography.

“Kelly and I actually met at a party, and we really bonded over our love for film and wanting to create it,” he said.

Outside of class, Swanson works with UNC Student Television to help write, edit, direct and produce the station’s show “General College,” which is described by UNC STV as a soap opera-style drama about the lives of fictional UNC students.

Swanson, who will be the producer next year, said the organization plans to complete two new episodes per semester.

“Because of just changes in the UNC student television this year, we were able to write everything, but we weren’t able to direct or edit anything,” she said. Though she did not elaborate on the kinds of changes, Swanson said she would follow through with the already written episodes at the beginning of next semester.

Swanson isn’t sure exactly what wants to pursue after graduation, but is open to many options, from further education to broadcast news.

“I’d be happy to find a producing position maybe in news or in studio, or an editing position, really anything — from independent director to film writer to film critic — I’d be really happy to be a part of,” she said.

But Swanson also said the courses she’s taken so far have prepared her to take a lot of different directions career-wise because she’s gained a deep understanding of the theory.

“I heard the quote once, ‘Fundamentals are the building blocks of fun,’” she said.

“I think to be innovative, especially in the film department side, you have to know the theory behind it, and that’s something I’m getting a lot of here.”