Canvas

The Black Lips return to rock Cat's Cradle

The Black Lips have traveled the world, but Cat’s Cradle is one place they keep coming back to.

The rock ‘n’ roll, 'flower punk' band will return to the Carrboro venue Friday night, joined by Asheville-based band “The Shine Brothers” and the Canadian duo “The King Khan & BBQ Show.”

The Black Lips have been together for 15 years and played all over the world, including a recent trip to the Middle East in 2012.

“Just because you’re not supposed to go there, we wanted to go there,” said bassist and vocalist Jared Swilley. “Everyone is like ‘Oh you can’t do a rock ‘n’ roll tour in the Middle East.’ And if someone tells us we can’t do something then we have to do it.”

The band traveled through countries across the Middle Eat including Iraq, The United Arab Emirates and Jordan. They said the different genres of music they heard there had a lasting effect on their work.

“Hearing local music, like from the Middle East, gives you a different perspective outside of your own,” said Swilley.

Although the band has travelled far and wide, Swilley said he enjoys the eccentricities of Carrboro.

“My favorite thing about performing at Cat’s Cradle is the army and navy store that’s across the street,” he said.

Unlike The Black Lips, the opening act, The Shine Brothers, are new to Cat’s Cradle.

First getting together in 2012, The Shine Brothers decided to relocate from Los Angeles to Asheville after their first national tour in 2013.

“I think at the core of it we all love rock ‘n’ roll,” said band member Nate Ryan. “Originally when we started the band, we wanted to try and blend something that sounded like The Everly Brothers with The Birthday Party, so there’s a lot of kind of angular, definitely some punk influence in it. We all listen to a lot of psych.”

Ryan said he is hoping to give audiences a chance to unwind on Friday night.

“Whenever I go to a show I want to have a moment that’s kind of outside of time,” he said. “Everyone deals with time all day long. We deal with clocking in and clocking out, you know, and working a job and day–to–day mundane things. It’s just really nice to have a moment to forget about those things”.