Carolina Living

The do's and don'ts of social media

Let's start with the fundamental fact that in our world today everything revolves around social media.

The first thing someone does nowadays when they're bored is pull out their phone and scroll through various social media platforms: Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, Tumblr, etc.

It's a way for us human beings to express ourselves to the world.

It's a way for companies to market their brands efficiently.

It's a form of communication that has held such a strong influence since the technology boom of the 21st century.

OK, now I'm starting to sound like Morgan Freeman.

But seriously, do you ever see those really awesome accounts on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, Pinterest, etc. and wonder, "How can I make my account look like that?"

It's your lucky day because here are the do's and don'ts of social media:

Do's:

1. It's all about aesthetic when it comes to social media, so try to make your feed aesthetically pleasing to the eye. Trust me, this is actually a lot harder than you think. The way to do this is to keep a certain theme to all your pictures whether it's a more minimal look or poppy background colors or a certain genre like hipster for example. To keep your theme, make sure you're using the same filters and editing process for your photos. Some great photo editing apps that I like to use are VSCO, Snapseed and Afterlight.

2. Spice up your picture game and be creative about it. You don't want every picture on your feed to be a selfie. You're probably gorgeous, but you want to show people that you have friends or other interests besides yourself.

3. Be genuine. Show your audience who you are and what you like to do. People always vibe with authenticity!

4. Promote your work even if it's just your personal account. It's a great way for potential employers to see your talent.

5. Encourage positive thinking and let it show through your social media accounts. Like or comment on other people's photos and posts. It's a great way to make other people feel appreciated while networking.

Don'ts:

1. Don't post Rated R photos. Keep it PG-13 — and when I say PG-13, I am saying that you shouldn't post anything you wouldn't want your mom or your boss seeing. That includes blatantly drunk pictures with your friends and anything that makes people say, "Whoa, can she/he put some clothes on?"

2. Don't make your personal problems public on social media. I know Billy Bob broke your heart last week, but posting a 3 page long rant about it on Facebook isn't going to get Billy Bob back.

3. Don't like your own photos. That's lame.

4. Leave the flash mirror selfies in 2006.

5. Don't over-edit, over-filter or photoshop the way you look in your photos because people are going to be surprised when they actually see you in person and not in a good way.

6. A lot of people get caught up on how they are perceived on social media and begin to change because of it. As much as we love social media, don't let it define who you are. 

Follow these social media guidelines and maybe one day you'll have 60.5 million followers like Kimmy K.