Carolina Living

5 tips to starting a journal

Summer is the perfect time to try out new hobbies, do something different and take advantage of all the free time you seem to have. This makes summer the perfect time to start writing in a journal. Whether it's online or in an actual journal, journaling is a great way to record memories. You can write down your thoughts, clear your head and just relax. 

Personally, I've tried to start a journal several times. Yet for the first time, I've actually been successful. In doing so, I've found several tricks to turn journaling into a habit. 

Here's what I've found: 

1. Figure out what kind of journal works best for you and make it your own. For some people, creating a blog or an online journal works best. For others, they like the feel of actually writing in a book. Work with what makes you the most comfortable. After all, it's a space for your thoughts, ideas, pictures, and memories.

2. Set a timer for a maximum of ten minutes and go to town. This way, you won't get bored and you'll get into the habit of recording things in your journal.

3. Keep your journal accessible to you. If you have your journal on you and see something that strikes you, you can write it down immediately and that way you don't inevitably forget about it.

4. Fill it up anyway you like. For example, mine has a lot of lists. My favorite songs at the moment, what books I've read this summer, places I want to visit, etc. Choose a format that makes the most sense for you and that makes you feel the most comfortable.

5.  Be yourself. Your journal is a space entirely for you, so don't hold back. You don't have to share it with anyone or get anyone's approval. It's your own judgement-free space.

The easiest way to turn journaling into a habit is by just doing it. If you keep at it, you'll turn it into a habit in no time. Happy journaling!

via GIPHY

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Music Edition