Monday, March 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Carolina Living

3 face masks to try this summer

Face masks can be one of the more enjoyable parts of a skincare routine. 

There are so many options to try depending on your skin type or favorite ingredients. Using a face mask is a great way to unwind after a long week and can serve as a fun activity for friends to do together while watching a movie or hanging out. 

Here are a few suggestions to try out this summer:

Freeman Avocado & Oatmeal Clay Mask - $4.29

Source: Allure 

This mask is great for those with combination skin. It has Kaolin clay to clean your pores and to leave your skin feeling extremely soft. 

Another Freeman favorite is the Charcoal and Black Sugar Polishing Mask. It first starts off as an exfoliating scrub to remove impurities using activated charcoal. The sugar in the mask buffs and removes dead skin for much softer, cleaner skin. 

Both options are affordable and can usually be found in drugstores.

Origins Drink Up Intensive Mask - $26

Source: Hello Magazine

This mask is great for people with drier skin types. The avocado and apricot kernel oils in this product will provide deep moisture to dehydrated skin. 

It's not as affordable as the Freeman options, but a little of this mask goes a long way. Just apply before you go to bed and let the mask work its magic. 

You'll wake up with noticeably supple skin. 

Lush Mask of Magnaminty - $13.95 - $25.95 (depending on size)

Source: View The Vibe

This mask contains clay to clear pores as well as ground aduki beans to exfoliate the skin. Peppermint oil aids in the cleansing of the skin and adds a fresh, minty scent. The mask can be used on the face or body and is recommended for any skin type. 

Fun fact: Lush products come in black pots made from 100 percent post-consumer recycled plastic. If you bring five clean tubs back to your local Lush store, you will receive one fresh face mask free of charge.

If your skin falls on the dry or oily end of the spectrum, do not fret. There are face masks created to treat all skin types. 

It's important to know what you want in a face mask. If you're looking to clean and purify the skin and pores, charcoal is a key ingredient to look for. Ingredients like kaolin clay provide softness to the skin and keep oils at bay. 

However, if you have very dry skin, be careful about what face masks to try. If you use masks that are more targeted towards the oily skin types, you could end up drying out your skin even more.

It's important to understand your skin type and know what ingredients work for you. 

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Music Edition