Diversions

Deer Tick at the Cradle tonight

<p>Deer Tick plays tonight at Carrboro&#8217;s Cat&#8217;s Cradle. Picture: Flickr user <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/frf_kmeron/5011504485/in/photostream/">Kmeron</a> (Vince Kmeron)</p>
Buy Photos

Deer Tick plays tonight at Carrboro’s Cat’s Cradle. Picture: Flickr user Kmeron (Vince Kmeron)

7796_5011496667_2b908018ae_zo.jpgCredit: Flickr user Kmeron (Vince Kmeron)

Don’t forget to catch alt-country rockers Deer Tick at Cat’s Cradle tonight. The show starts at 9 P.M. with Virgin Forest and Dead People opening up the show before the headlining act. Tickets will be available at the door for $16.

The native Rhode Islanders are making the sixth stop of their tour at the Cradle in support of their new album, Divine Providence, which will be released next Tuesday, October 24.

For the fourth full-length album, Deer Tick take a fresh, punk rock direction instead of falling back on their alt-country roots. The two opening tracks, “Funny Word” and “Let’s All Go To The Bar,” hearken back to classic punk bands such as the Ramones and the Clash with their slamming power chords and energetic drums.

That’s not to say there aren’t plenty of their alt-country ballads. “Clownin Around” and “Chevy Express” both slow things down for a bit and bring in some acoustic guitars to give the album a nice balance.

Where the record really shines, however, is in the lyrics. Lead singer and songwriter John McCauley bares his soul on tracks such as, “Electric,” where he sings, “I need you to get me by I need electric to get me high But I don’t need your friendly smiles I’m just the brakes and you’re the miles.”

Here’s a preview of the band’s first single from Divine Providence, “Miss K”: