Diversions

Music review: Dan Deacon 'America'

At a certain point, the desire to explore these great states we call home from top to bottom, east to west and everything in between is manifested. For Dan Deacon, perhaps it’s his latest album, America, that cements these road tripping dreams.

Widespread and ecstatic, America launches off with the instrumental “Guilford Avenue Bridge,” a wonderfully expansive journey full of building layers of dotting synth that crescendo triumphantly.

These waves seamlessly blend into the soothing intro of lead single “True Thrush,” making way for Deacon’s voice to emerge from the swirling depths.

Deacon balances the punchy with the pleasant, making sure to pause once in while. Specifically, the tracks “Prettyboy” and “USA I: Is A Monster” pensively aim to reel the listener back in following some heavier electronica with exquisite soundscapes.

But on several of America’s tracks, some songs still make rather abrupt transitions that begin to disrupt the established groove.

There’s the four-part “USA” instrumental that, while robust and creative in technique, can cause an indefinite slip into the mundane, fairly characteristic of the Midwest. But then again, maybe this is just another necessary stop on Deacon’s experimental road trip.

Even after hundreds of westward miles, the diversity and rich sense of adventure on America that keeps the energy high and the listener pressing forward.

The way in which Deacon meshes revitalizing sound waves with decked-out synth makes for an enticing listen. When the sun sets at the end of a long day, this is one cross-country excursion you’ll still definitely want to take part in.