Diversions

Hopscotch 2012: Keeping up the momentum on night two

<p>Doug Martsch of Built to Spill plays to a crowd in City Plaza on Friday evening. </p>
Buy Photos

Doug Martsch of Built to Spill plays to a crowd in City Plaza on Friday evening.

After finally arriving home to my parent’s house in Raleigh last night (this morning) at 3:30 am, I realized that I had spent the past 12 hours at Hopscotch. Whether it was catching some day parties, checking out Built to Spill in City Plaza, running into Dan Deacon or indulging in some post-show empanadas, Friday’s festival was everything I had intended Hopscotch to be, a continuing celebration of some really great music.

Here’s who rounded out my Friday afternoon/night:

The Love Language

Built to Spill

Wylie Hunter & The Cazadores

Hiss Golden Messenger

Zola Jesus

Corrosion of Conformity

Dan Deacon

Only at Hopscotch would I have the opportunity to see Hiss Golden Messenger perform as a seven-piece that included Megafaun’s Cook brothers and guitar virtuoso William Tyler. And then the night ended with the highly anticipated, electrifying and slammed packed Dan Deacon performance, full of lights, dancing and simply being crazy. As intense as it was, I wouldn’t trade the sweat, claustrophobia and loss of my voice for anything.

After taking a breather for most of the morning and afternoon, my round three of Hopscotch begins in a few hours and I can’t wait to watch The Roots take on City Plaza, The Toddlers tear up The Hive and Wye Oak bring the Lincoln Theatre to its knees. Keep following us at @DTHDiversions for updates from the last night of the festival!