Diversions

Music Review: Grown Up Avenger Stuff

Grown Up Avenger Stuff
Sparkleton
4 stars
Rock

The quirky quartet Grown Up Avenger Stuff automatically captivates your attention with its new release, Sparkleton, an album that can be adequately described as just plain fun. This non-stop, energy packed compilation forces listeners to stand up and cut a rug as vocalist Deirdre Kroener’s badass female presence is met with banging percussions and grungy riffs.

Opener “Some of Us” kicks the album off with a lighter quality, accompanied with reserved guitar and synth, quickly transforming into a heavier drone as Kroener fantasizes about impossible attachment: “We all have to amputate some of our parts so we can relate. And it seems like a lot of us cut off a lot less, but hey, they don’t bleed.”

The album’s penultimate song “Too Cool” gradually defines a blithe side of Grown Up Avenger Stuff with eccentric lyrics and captivating rhythms: “I’m gonna dance all by my self. You’re too cool for me.” This song takes an unexpected turn as it closes with a heavy metal shout out to all those jerks standing alone at the back of the bar.

“Pins” is arguable the album’s best track, highlighting the band’s notable ability to create head-banging anthems with hauntingly relatable lyrics: “I’m falling in two feet deep. I’m tearing up my knees in shallow water, I can’t crawl much farther.”

Through Sparkleton, Grown Up Avenger Stuff highlights its versatility and depth. With unapologetic angst and a dynamite attitude, this release shows off the best qualities of the budding band. If you haven’t gotten your daily dose of rock ‘n’ roll, be sure to check out Sparkleton for an assured good time.