Diversions

Q&A with Dezrick Dixon

The Bull City Music Awards, organized by the Bull City Music Group, is a Durham-centric awards show honoring entertainers for their contributions to the music industry.

The awards ceremony will be held at 7:30 p.m. on Sunday at the Carolina Theatre in Durham. Preceding the show itself is a black carpet event, which begins at 6 p.m.

Staff writer Amanda Hayes spoke with Dezrick Dixon, CEO of the Bull City Music Group, about the awards and Durham’s music scene.

DIVERSIONS: How did the idea for this awards show come about?

DEZRICK DIXON: I’m an artist myself from North Carolina.

So I want to actually give other artists the platform to show their talent. This event is also to pay homage and to honor the legends that came from here.

They paved the way for the artists in this time. This show is also part of a revitalization of Durham. It’s not just an awards show. We’re trying to rekindle the musical platform we used to have here a long time ago.

DIVE: Who chooses the nominees and who votes for the winners?

DD: Artists on voted on by their peers. We sent out a nomination field letter and some independent artists promoted it and some of their peers nominated them.

We then set up a nomination site that could be accessed by the artists.

They would choose the category and vote on whichever artist.

DIVE: Who are some of the nominees?

DD: There’s a long list of artists. There’s Annie Adams, Blak Godi, Bull City Kartel, Baby Eye, Lemoi, and just a whole list of others.

Some of the nominees are performing. It gives them a chance to show people why they are nominated and why their peers actually voted for them. We’re also honoring Georgette Johnson, DJ Scazz and DJ Whitted.

DIVE: What are some of the categories artists are nominated for?

DD: The categories include all different genres. There’s performer of the year, hip-hop artist of the year, video of the year, female R&B artist of the year.

There’s the R&B artist legend award, gospel artist of the year, hip-hop group of the year and some humanitarian awards as well.

DIVE: How are you connected to the Triangle’s music scene?

DD: I’ve been in music since before middle school, so probably since I was in elementary school. I did a lot of talent shows.

Later, I got into church and started singing gospel. I have two albums out and a single called “Testify.” It’s like R&B gospel. I’m also a promoter now, a new promoter.

DIVE: What are you hoping this awards show will do for the people of Durham and its music scene?

DD: I hope that other cities and states will come together with Durham. It’s open to the Triad. I want to make sure revitalization takes place.

I want music and artists to be part of Durham’s makeup. It’s about getting back to the musical foundation.

I also hope this awards show can grow and be televised next year. It would be the first local awards show to be televised.