Diversions

Dive presents New Media: Oct. 24

Television

Reign

Thursday marked the premier of “Reign,” the CW’s newest TV drama. The show depicts the teenage life of Mary Stuart (Adelaide Kane), later known as Mary, Queen of Scots. The series begins with Mary Stuart leaving the Scottish monastery she grew up in to formalize her arranged marriage to Prince Francis (Toby Regbo) of France.

Movies

12 Years a Slave

Released in select theaters Friday, “12 Years a Slave” is about a free black man who was abducted and sold into slavery in 1841. The movie is based on a true story, taken from Solomon Northup’s autobiography. Northup (Chiwetel Ejiofor), a violinist from upstate New York, was sold into slavery while touring in Washington, D.C. He struggled to survive the cruelty and indignity of slavery for 12 years, eventually meeting a Canadian abolitionist (Brad Pitt) who helped him in his quest for freedom.

Escape Plan

Released in theaters Friday, “Escape Plan” shows what happens when the world’s leading expert on prison security must work against his own prison design. Ray Breslin (Sylvester Stallone) puts his skills to the test to save himself. In the movie, Breslin is framed and he is imprisoned in one of the high security structures he designed himself. He must use his knowledge of the prison design to escape and find the person responsible for putting him in prison.

Music

Magpie and the Dandelion – The Avett Brothers

The Avett Brothers’ new album, Magpie and the Dandelion, is the band’s eighth studio album. The folk-rock band announced that they were working on the album in June, and the album’s release Tuesday was much anticipated by Avett Brothers fans.

Head Up High – Morcheeba

Morcheeba’s Head Up High, released Monday, was also the eighth album released by this trip hop/indie rock band. Fans were not disappointed as the band expanded on its classic style while featuring guest appearances from Chali, 2na, Rizzle Kicks, and White Denim’s James Petralli.

Kanye West’s Yeezus Tour

Five years after his last solo tour, Kanye west kicked off his Yeezus tour Saturday night in Seattle. West’s opening show was full of lights, costumes and energy. West performed every song from his new record, as well as a variety of older selections. Kendrick Lamar opened for West, performing cuts from his good kid, m.A.A.d city album. The Yeezus Tour will include 30 shows in the U.S. and Canada this year.

Stephanie Zimmerman