Diversions

Concert Review: Built to Spill at Cat's Cradle

The Built to Spill show on Wednesday brought a crowd of all ages as fans old and new came to see the ’90s indie rock band play for the 75th time at the Cat’s Cradle.

The show started with two opening bands, Genders and Slam Dunk. Portland-based Genders started off the show with its cheerful pop sound mixed with frontwoman Maggie Morris’ sultry vocals. After a short set, Slam Dunk, hailing from Victoria, BC, took the stage. The indie band with surf rock and punk influences livened the venue with catchy its sing-a-longs while cracking jokes at the audience.

The mood soon turned as Built to Spill took the stage and got everyone hooked to its hypnotic jam session. Built to Spill kept the fans engaged throughout its 14-song setlist with its melodious riffs and frontman Doug Martsch’s signature high-pitched tone. The band played song after song, bringing in a mix of older, more well-known songs and newer, edgier songs. The encore was about four songs and included covers such as Blue Öyster Cult’s “Don’t Fear the Reaper” and the Smith’s “How Soon is Now.”

Although the band hasn’t put out an album since 2009, it has been touring non-stop since the late ’90s. This was clearly evident, as the band seemed worn out and tired throughout the set, lacking any passion or enthusiasm. Guitarist Brett Netson even sat down for one of the songs and left halfway through the set only to come back later towards the end of the show. Despite that, fans still seemed enthralled as the band’s exhausted vibe paired well with their somber sound.

Earlier this year, the band announced that it would be joined by new band members — Steve Gere would replace guitarist Scott Plouf and Jason Albertini would replace Brett Nelson on bass. This might have been a factor in the band’s less than stellar performance and a sign for one of the greatest indie rock bands to put down its guitars and retire.

Perhaps the best part of Wednesday’s show was the lively opening bands. But for any Built to Spill fan who have seen it in its heyday, the performance was a bit disheartening. After all, it’s never easy seeing a band you grew up with seem a bit run-down and on the brink of retirement. Despite this, the audience still seemed to have a great time jamming out and singing along to their favorite songs and the vibe from the fans overall seemed positive. This just goes to show that wherever Built to Spill ends up, there will always be loyal fans, young and old, eager to see the band live.