Diversions

Dive's Wacky Winter Mixtape

Six inches of snow one week, mid-sixties and sunshine the next. Whatever the weather, Dive staff has you covered.

“Winter Song” by Ingrid Michaelson and Sara Bareilles
The beautiful harmonies and orchestra background give this duet a kind of “calm before the storm” vibe. A great song to spend with someone you love on a cold winter day, even if that someone is a cup of hot chocolate. And if you’re really in the mood for some lovin’, try “The Beginning” by John Legend, which samples the same tune. — Kristina Kokkonos

“Blue Sky” by The Allman Brothers
This classic Allman Brothers song is perfect throw in your ears while walking to class during the wave of warm weather hitting Chapel Hill this week. The cheerful, winding guitar solo in the middle of the song is reminiscent of an intoxicating afternoon with friends. The Allman Brothers even say, “Goin to Carolina, won’t be long and I’ll be there.” Who can blame them? — Dixon Ferrell

“Change of Time” by Josh Ritter
If the black clouds and sporadic weather of North Carolina get you down, this gorgeous song is just what you need. The song begins soft and ends in a swelling crescendo. It transitions from a hushed and hopeless poem, to an inspiring battle cry. By the end, hopefully you’ll remember that despite the unpredictable weather or a few disappointing exam grades, it’s all only a change in time. — Schyler Martin

“Jolene” by The Weepies
No, it’s not a Dolly Parton cover. This sweet song follows a relationship through pouring rain, blooming flowers, sunshine and the clearing of the clouds. With all that weather in play, it basically chronologues one week spent in Chapel Hill. The lyrics are heartbreaking in a simple, beautiful way, but the tune will still put an extra spring in your step. — Schyler Martin

“Sunshine” by Atmosphere
The song begins with something most college students know all too well – a hangover. But, stepping outside into the sunshine on a gorgeous day, noticing that “even the birds are bumpin,’” can make anyone forget about their troubles. Anyone can have a bad day turn good, and Atmosphere’s delivery of a laid back flow over a simple piano and beat captures just that. — Kristina Kokkonos

“Hoppipolla” by Sigur Ros
This Icelandic song translated tells a story about jumping into puddles and celebrating the weather — a process students went through Friday as the snow melted and classes were canceled. Apart from being the epitome of inspirational music for movie trailers, this song can be just what a kid needs during that final push of an all-nighter after being spoiled with a four-day weekend. — Amanda Hayes

“In the Cold, Cold Night” by The White Stripes After the stinging disappointment of the canceled Duke game thanks to last week’s sudden snow, just about everyone was thinking of this song, they just didn’t know it. Stuck indoors with no plans or transportation and scarce food, students were calling out to anyone, “come to me again in the cold, cold night.” — Amanda Hayes

“Useful Chamber” by Dirty Projectors
The lyrics on this standout Dirty Projectors trackfrom are abstract and moody, perfectly fitting the bizarre weather of late. Everything is tame with background harmonizing and melodic synthesizers. Then, the chorus explodes with screeching guitars and shouted vocals. The song’s disparate elements remind of the freezing temperatures and humid days in Chapel Hill. — Mac Gushanas

“Total Bummer” by NOFX
Snow days are always a blast. Having to resume to your normal life and all the work you put off after a four-day weekend, not so much. So if you’re sad about the snow melting away so quickly, just sing along to this punk rock ballad. Maybe if you keep saying “go away, sunny day” the snow might magically appear again and all your midterms will be postponed — Marcela Guimaraes

“Snow Party” by Broadcaster
We’re gonna have a Snow Party tonight! But if there were an anthem for snowy days, this would be it. Simple riffs and catchy hooks about drinking wine and complaining about the snow outside? Sounds like my Thursday night. Jam along to this tune and reminisce about all the “sheets of ice and crashing cars” that was the snowpocalypse. — Marcela Guimaraes

“Water in the Sky” by Phish
Phish’s take on traditional American country is a nice compliment to a stormy day. This tune is composed of drizzling sounds and rain imagery. The song can be interpreted to have several meanings, but it is likely about tuning someone or something out, like you might want to do with the impending midterm season. — Dixon Ferrell

John McLaughlin by Miles Davis
It’s hard to exactly pinpoint exactly what sort of genre this track slides under, ranging from jazz to funk and even rock. Highly influential and always at a quick pace, Miles Davis keeps the listener on his or her toes, never knowing where the beat may go next. Just like the ever-changing weather outside, Davis cannot be predicted. — Mac Gushanas