Diversions

Q&A with Vivica C. Coxx

<p>Drag queen Vivica C. Coxx will perform at The Pinhook in Durham on Saturday</p>
Buy Photos

Drag queen Vivica C. Coxx will perform at The Pinhook in Durham on Saturday

Vivica C. Coxx wishes to change the face of drag in the Triangle. Coxx will host her her third show at the Pinhook this weekend. Diversions staff writer Kristina Kokkonos spoke Coxx about her career as a drag queen thus far. DIVERSIONS: When did you first realize that you wanted to perform? VIVICA C. COXX: I would say it just kind of happened naturally. I am someone who belongs on stage, that’s what I tell people. It’s actually where I’m most comfortable. If you asked me a series of questions one on one, I can handle them, but if you give me a stage and you make me interact with anywhere from 100 to 2,000 people, all of a sudden I light up, and that is just where I belong. DIVE: What does your typical show consist of? VC: My typical show is actually an amateur drag competition. So it consists of me taking a lot of time to get to know the crowd, tell a few jokes and have a lot of fun with them. But it’s really an opportunity for drag queens that have never really had an opportunity to perform. I don’t limit my drag performances to really real-looking drag queens; I ask anyone and however they define drag to feel comfortable to perform in my show. I’m not looking for anyone who wants to go on to the Miss Gay North Carolina (America) Pageant...I’m looking for people who are going to cater to everyone. DIVE: Who would you say is your biggest inspiration? VC: I would have to say it’s a tie of three people. (The first is) Latrice Royale, who was on RuPaul’s Drag Race, and she is just large and in charge. I’m not a small queen; I’m also not a large queen. But Latrice just reminds you that you can be successful regardless of your size, and I think that’s awesome. And then Manila Luzon; I opened for her for NC Pride, and while in the sitting room, she kind of gave me some words of wisdom and helped me take my drag to the next level. It’s been less than 6 months and I really feel like my career as a drag queen took off the moment I spoke to her. And third is going to be my mother, who had the bravery to live her life the way it needed to be lived. The moment she decided to do that was always something I took to heart. DIVE: Do you sing, dance or both? VC: I dance and I lip sync. I have been playing with the idea of doing live singing but right now it is not a part of my show. DIVE: What are you looking forward to this weekend? VC: The crowd. I think what makes my show different from all the others is the Pinhook crowd. I’m trying to become the resident drag queen for the Pinhook and I think it’s going well. But the crowd there is just so much more interactive, and kind, and they are actually there because they love you. They’re not there because of any bitterness or anything. They are coming out because they are excited, and that is the best crowd you could ever hope for as a performer. diversions@dailytarheel.com