Diversions

Dive Recommends: Friday the 13th Edition

DIVE RECOMMENDS: FRIDAY 13TH EDITION

Broken mirrors, seven years of bad luck, black cats and crazed serial killers — it’s no wonder this day gets a bad reputation. This year is especially spooky as it also coincides with a full moon. So people who suffer from paraskavedekatriaphobia, otherwise known as fear of Friday the 13th, beware!

We here at Diversions like to embrace the day for all of its spooky fun. We’ve compiled a list of 13 things to watch, listen to, read and go to in order celebrate this unlucky day.

MOVIES

1. “Friday the 13th”

It goes without saying why “Friday the 13th” is the perfect movie to set off your spooky night right. The original 1980 slasher film, considered to be one of the first true slasher movies, is sure to leave you on the edge of your seat. Make a night of it and watch the whole franchise, just maybe try to avoid watching it while camping by a lake. 

2. “The Mist”

There's nothing scarier than the unknown, and in "The Mist," it's all around. Based on Stephen King's novella about a small town suddenly enveloped by a mysterious fog, this film delights in uncertainty. The only thing more terrifying than knowing what's hidden in the mist is waiting to find out. 

3. “Silence of the Lambs”

"The Silence of the Lambs" has gone down as one of cinema's best thrillers, and rightly so. Anthony Hopkins' portrayal of hyper-intellectual cannibal Hannibal Lecter not only gave us chills, but also some of the greatest quotes of all time. We'd describe more, but we're having an old friend for dinner....

4. “The Blair Witch Project"

The Blair Witch Project is a spooky adventure into the woods of Maryland in 1994. Three teenagers decide to venture into the woods to make a documentary of the infamous Blair Witch, who is well-known in the town of Burkittsville. When the teenagers spend more time in the woods than planned, they begin to find usual outcomes that confirm their belief of the Blair Witch. 

BOOKS

5. “Vampires in the Lemon Grove” bKaren Russell

Each story in Karen Russell's "Vampires in the Lemon Grove" grows around a fantastical, ingenious idea: dead presidents reincarnated as horses, Japanese schoolgirls turning into human silkworms, vampires who slake their bloodlust with lemons. Russell's endings often meander unsuccessfully, but her paranormal premises make the collection fresh and entertaining.

TELEVISION SHOWS

6. "Misfits"

What could be more unlucky than five offenders being struck by lightning while doing community service, gaining super hero powers and then being hunted down by their crazed zombie-like probation worker? This sci-fi British comedy is sure to lighten up your mood, have you in laughs while also feeding your strange spooky side. You can stream all five seasons on Hulu. 

7. "The Twilight Zone"

The classic black-and-white show is sure to give you the heebie-jeebies with its haunting plot lines and cliffhanger twists. Be sure to watch some of the most memorable episodes like the pig-nosed people in “The Eye of the Beholder” and “Nightmare at 20,000 Feet,” featuring none other than William Shatner. You can stream all seasons on Netflix. 

ALBUMS

8. Baushaus, Burning from the Inside

Burning from the Inside is the epitome of great 80’s gothic-rock with haunting hits like “She’s in Parties” and the electronic swirling beats of “Honeymoon Croon.” Although the band’s fourth studio album ultimately jinxed the band and foreshadowed their break-up in 1983, this didn’t stop them from coming back 15 years later to tour and later on in 2008 with another album. Unfortunately, the 2008 album jinxed them again as they broke up, yet again, shortly after. 

9. The Cure, Wild Mood Swings

These alt-goth rockers embody the true spirit of spookiness, complete with Robert Smith’s wild teased hair, smudged black eyeliner and bright red lipstick. The band takes a twisted edgier turn with Wild Mood Swings, combining various swirling juxtaposing sounds and stand-out horns. “The 13th”, featuring woozy mariachi horns, is the perfect anthem for the day.

10. Misfits, Die, Die My Darling

Probably the band’s most famous EP, Die, Die My Darling should be a must in your spooky playlist. "Mommy, Can I Go Out and Kill Tonight?" is the quintessential Misfits song with its raucous jarring sound. Danzig’s distinct low-tone haunting voice is sure to put you in a creepy mood.

EVENTS

11. Volume 8.5: Sabrina’s Revenge

Time: 10 p.m., Friday

Location: Nightlight Bar & Club

Tickets: $6 members, $8 non-members (includes membership)

Volume, a recurring dance party with a focus on live hardware-based dance sets, will have a special all-local night for Friday the 13th. Locals Sabrina, Jerome, Sponge Bath, $tinkelwerm and Ritual Witch Sex will be bringing down the house with some sick, noisy, electronic beats. 

12. The Things They Carried

Time: 9 p.m., Friday

Location: Local 506

Tickets: $9 to $10

The New York City-based metal screamo quartet comes to Chapel Hill tonight with fellow screamers, Eye 4 An Eye. If the full moon has got you in a raging mood, this is the perfect show to scream and mosh along to all night with these metal-core acts.

13. Mezzmerizd: Dreaming Awake

Time: 6 p.m., Friday

Location: The Carrboro ArtsCenter

Tickets: FREE

Wilmington-based artist Mezzanine will host an artist reception filled with great spooky fun. Unifire Theater, a fire performance troupe from Asheville, will light up the parking lot of the ArtsCenter. Be sure to catch Mezzanine’s works on display from June 5 to June 30, and don’t forget to catch some crazy aerials at the champagne reception June 18.