Dress Code

Is Short the New Tall? Your Choice Regarding Leather Boots.

With temperatures dropping rapidly, it’s time to pull out your cute closed-toed shoes. In case you haven’t heard the news, leather boots are in. If you aren’t up for tall boots and the short “booties” are just not for you, there’s also a length that hits the mid-calf.

Bloomingdales says that short boots are “a trend that has legs.” The short boots give accent to your ankles and give your legs a longer look. Try the stiletto version on a night out on Franklin Street. They can be worn with skinny jeans, leggings, skirts and dresses. A more comfortable option that’s less girly and more practical for walking to class is Clarks Original Desert Boot for Women.

Emily Kosmala, a junior business major from Denver, N.C., is an employee at Townsend Bertram and Company in Carrboro. She loves her short Frye boots because they are water resistant and comfortable. Kosmala compliments her stylish footwear with dresses, jeans, and leggings. For country-themed events, she will even pair her boots with jean shorts.

Maggie Thomasson, a sophomore psychology major from Lexington, N.C., says that she wears both short and tall boots. When asked about why she had on short boots, she said, “I didn’t check to see whether it was going to rain or not so I wore these.” Stylish, water resistant leather boots… what could be better?

Although short boots are trending, taller boots aren’t going anywhere. Alyssa Patel, a senior business major from Asheville, N.C., prefers tall boots to short ones because they are “a lot warmer and [they] look better.”

A blurb about Alyssa’s boots: In New York City for Spring Break, she wore her first pair of nice boots for the first time. She said, “it monsooned all weekend and [I was] so scared they would be ruined.” Three years later, they are still looking great!

Erika Edwards, a senior from Chapel Hill, pairs her medium-length boots with dresses, jeans, or her favorite combination: leggings and “big socks.” Edwards said that when she first bought the boots, she thought they were too big and her feet slid around a lot. Her quick fix? “You just learn to wear big socks.”

Attention Shoppers: Be sure to check out the following online hotspots before you make any extravagant designer boot purchases:

Ebay
Amazon
Bluefly
Designer Shoe Warehouse

To be a trendy Tar Heel: There are many opinions on “the right length” of leather boots this season at UNC. One thing is certain: boots are trending this fall and you should wear the pair that works best for you.