Dress Code

How to Fall Into November: The Vest

<p>Sarah Eum in a Vineyard Vines vest</p>
Buy Photos

Sarah Eum in a Vineyard Vines vest

Are these cold mornings and warm afternoons making it hard for you to decide what to wear out the door? Some trendy students have come up with a definitive answer: wear a vest! Puffy, fleece or fur, you can’t go wrong. Brands seen on campus are Patagonia, Mountain Hard Wear, and Vineyard Vines. Check out Old Navy for a less expensive option!

Kirsten, a sophomore business major from Cornelius, N.C., has two different vests to choose from in her closet. She found her fur vest at Delia*s. Kirsten said that she prefers to wear a vest on days when the weather is not freezing because her arms still get cold. She likes that they’re versatile and can be worn indoors and outdoors. “You don’t have to take it on and off.”

Sarah Eum, a senior economics major from New England, said that she’s used to the cold weather. She switches between short sleeves and long sleeves underneath her Vineyard Vines vest. Sarah also keeps a fleece sweater in her bag during the day just in case the wind picks up. She commented on the style of wearing short sleeves under a vest saying, “Some people think it’s weird, but I like it.”

Students have been spotted on campus wearing all sorts of shirts underneath vests. One popular (and comfortable) style is to wear a long sleeve t-shirt underneath. Consider a turtle neck or a sweater as the temperature continues to fall!

To be a trendy Tar Heel: Look out for the great styles that your fellow students are wearing during this season of transition. When you know it’s going to be windy but still not freezing cold, throw on a vest and feel confident that you are prepared for the day.