Dress Code

Uggs give winter wardrobes a practical, cozy element

Uggs — you love them, you hate them, and you have come to realize you can't really survive winter on a college campus without them.

Coming into college, half of students swear they're going to leave their Uggs in the sixth grade with their skin-tight Hollister t-shirts and braces, but the other half stands by the decision to keep their toes pretty toasty and whole-heartedly support the Australian sheep skin footwear. 

Whether or not you like Uggs or think they belong on your twelve-year-old sister's feet, there is no way anyone can deny the practicality and warmth they provide. 

They also can be worn, and are currently being worn, in ways that are pushing the "basic" boundary. People are starting to make the boots look a little more polished and modern.

One particular style of Uggs that is timeless and all around adorable is the short Bailey button boots. These fall right into trend with the ankle bootie-wearing crowd that has come to campus and can add a light-hearted element to your winter wardrobe

Credit: Ugg Australia

This cute style is just as cozy as the classic style, but spices up the boot with a sassy little button on the side that highlights the contrast between the suede outside and fluffy inside. 

A little trick that can be applied to make your Ugg outfits cuter is simply to fold down the top of your boot. This can honestly be done with any style of Ugg, whether it be the Bailey buttons or your classic tall, all shapes and styles can participate in this technique.

The reason I love this method so much is because it not only adds a great fur element to whatever style you're going for that day, but folding down the top can really accentuate anyone's legs, making them look just a tad leaner.

Uggs not only add the element of warmth you need to get to your 8 a.m., but they make for the perfect cozy, winter-weather hang out outfit. Pair them with any sort of simple sweater, a nice pair of jeans, and a cute scarf or necklace and you're ready to go embrace all that winter has to offer while still looking simple and chic.

Credit: Polyvore

With winter also comes the emergence of over-sized, puffy and fluffy winter coats and the addition of Uggs to this outfit puts the final touches on any look and truly makes you look like you've got your snow-filled life all put together (that may or may not be true, but it's fine).

So, I'm afraid Uggs are here to stay and they've got some pretty good style methods behind them to back up their relevance, even if you still wear the same pair you got as a present in middle school. 

Maybe you think they make you look like an abominable snowman walking back to his igloo, but your toes aren't going to freeze off like they would in cute leather booties and when you step in a slushy puddle of melted ice, your two sheep skinned friends are there to protect you (I say this out of pure personal experience considering I manage to step in a puddle on the sunniest of days).