Dress Code

Two trends that define summer 2016

With every season comes new fads and trends.

Summer 2016 is no different. Two trends that are taking over the season have been seen on countless amounts of street style gurus and celebrities.

Personally, I love these two trends. I think the vibes they carry along with them bring a great element to summer style.

The first trend that has sparked so much attention is the off-the-shoulder trend. From dresses to rompers to tops, this trend is sweeping the sleeves right off your shoulders and taking people away to a summer filled with girly, ethereal styling.

Credit: Atlantic PacificStylecaster and Crystalin Marie

So many combinations are possible with this trend and many prints are available to purchase so you can find exactly the style that fits you best.

The way that I've seen this trend the most is with a simple white off-the-shoulder top. 

It's classic with a twist. Ruffles and frills galore, this simple top can elevate an outfit and really show people you're ready for the the warm weather.

It's lighthearted attitude is dainty, yet sophisticated. It shows just enough skin to balance out the looser fit of the top itself.

Pair it with a great pair of ripped jeans to give your look a little edge, then add the final touch with a choker to fully spice up the ever so girly top.

Another great trend that is taking over summer this year is the midi-length hemlines. Skirts and dresses are beginning to hit women right at the center of the calf, making a perfect middle ground between sundress and maxi dress.

Credit: Lulus and Katerina Tatarinova

This hemline is a little scary at first. I personally thought it was far too elderly or maternal for girls my age to even attempt, but then I realized nothing is impossible with the right styling.

Shoes can make or break this trend. Intense gladiator sandals or a high pair of wedges can really take this look to the next level and will undoubtedly flatter anyone attempting it.

I truly am sick of dresses that are far too tight and short. I thoroughly appreciate the looser fit and comfortable hemlines for relaxing summer evenings.

Trends can be annoying and overwhelming, as girls tend to wear them to death and turn something unique into something exceedingly basic. 

However, these two trends are flawless and will be here to stay for this summer and many more to come.

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Music Edition