DTH at a Glance

Dearest readers, I want you to know something.

It's been eight days now, and I've truly enjoyed every minute of it — but I think it's time we take our relationship to the next level: I'm going to be emotionally vulnerable with you for the next 45 seconds.

Last semester, I made a mistake. I enrolled in a class on environmental law "for fun." Toward the middle of that semester, I took the midterm — and it destroyed every fiber of self-importance I had in my body. It was the first time I felt like I straight-up failed at something (which is saying a lot, considering I once got a 47 on an online quiz). But like any self-respecting failure, I bee-lined straight to Wendy's and ate a Frosty. But you know what sort of made me feel better? Not processed machine chocolate, for once; it was the Wendy's employee who smiled and asked about my day.

And honestly, if you're trying to say you can't relate to having your day brightened by a little act a stranger did, you're lying to an email, and you should probably reevaluate.

QUICK HITS

• A guy from Kansas just bought radio station WCHL 97.9 FM out of bankruptcy.
  • UNC’s and Duke’s medical schools are implicated in what’s basically the real-life version of conspiring with your little sister in Monopoly — except the schools are facing a lawsuit because of it.
  • A UNC professor put together a physics conference in Sweden, bringing together Chancellor Carol Folt and Stephen Hawking.

IN CHAPEL HILL NEWS

Some of our beloved chains might be gone, but a few Franklin Street classics are holding strong. You don’t outlive the likes of Krispy Kreme and Qdoba without a little street smarts. Sutton’s, IP3 and Carolina Coffee Shop, what are your secrets, and why didn’t you share them with Sakura?

IN POLITICS AND GOVERNMENT

First they came for our unlimited data; now they’re phasing out our discounted upgrades. Verizon Wireless is starting to eliminate two-year contracts and, with them, subsidies for new phones. Luckily, I played the “youngest child” card with my parents so I could steal my sister’s upgrade last year.

Note: Not having contracts might actually be cheaper in the long run — but my understanding of delayed gratification is equivalent to that of the average pug.

IN SPORTS

Mitch Trubisky is here to teach you that patience — and a heck-load of determination — is a virtue. Coach Larry Fedora might have stopped the two-quarterback system, but Trubisky isn’t letting his backup position hamper him or his progress on the team.

IN OUR OPINION

Dining hall employees work a ton, and they deserve our thanks. A quick "thanks" takes a second and can go a long way. Dining hall employees even came in for us during last year's Snowpocalypse. The least we can do is show them our appreciation.

IN THE BLOGS

Serena Williams and Drake were seen canoodling in a poorly lit restaurant. And like all nosy, millennial journalists, we're obligated to weigh in on it. As the most qualified people to speak on Williams' love life, Arts & Entertainment Editor Sarah Vassello and her assistant editor Ryan Schocket argue over what's in the tennis star's best interest.