DTH at a Glance

I hope you're ready for middle school flashbacks this morning.

Middle school is a confusing time for everyone. But there's only one thing more confusing than middle school, and it's the sex ed class I took in middle school. There was literally a day where all we did was perform skits in which pairs of 13-year-olds role-played and tried to convince each other to have or avoid having sex. The takeaways I distinctly remember are:

1) The teacher telling the girls to accuse guys of being gay if they say they don't want to have sex, and

2) A girl asking to "rock my sheets."

I have an inkling that curriculum could've been a little more productive and a little less problematic. Like, I dunno, teach us to be in control of our own sexualities. Or at least how to put on condom on a banana.

QUICK HITS

• Both Quinshad Davis and Ryan Switzer set school records in Saturday's win against Illinois football.
  • After a summer revamp, the restaurant inside the Carolina Inn reopened with a new name and a plan to appeal to dirty, dirty snake people like me.
  • The N.C. House just passed a bill 108-2 to bring change to sex ed programs — including who qualifies as an expert in determining the information schools can teach. Note: I still don't :/

IN WEIRD, MINIATURE PARKS

More than 200 people stopped by Chapel Hill's PARK(ing) Day exhibit. But I still think instead of turning a parking space into a community park, we could've used something Franklin actually has to spare. Maybe a Tex-Mex restaurant.

IN TOWN NEWS

A former UNC student is selling T-shirts to raise money for a victim of Chandler Kania's drunken driving. The shirts read "Free's Not" and "Stop Drunk Driving," and they aim to both speak against driving under the influence and the ABC commission's severely punishing He's Not Here.

IN FEEL-GOOD ANIMAL STORIES

Four bird tossers released rehabilitated hawks and an owl in Carrboro. Hank Anderson III Community Park became scene to an inspirational, "started from the bottom"-style Lifetime movie for birds of prey. It wasn't filmed, but onlookers did get to meet a half-blind owl who "can fly" but "doesn't always stick the landing."

IN THE BLOGS

In this week's podcast, we relay some free life advice, courtesy of timeless gem Norma Weekman. Kelsey's mom joined Having It All this week to discuss the things all of us want to talk to our moms about but probably don't (except me, I tell my mom everything) — from figuring out if a boy likes you to convincing your roommates to finally do the dishes.

We compiled a list of the best local coffee shops and what makes them so great. If you need somewhere to pretend to be productive, avoid responsibility, sit and wait for your real-life rom-com to start or any other reason I personally attend coffee shops, now's your chance. For the record, Looking Glass is best for the former two. Open Eye for rom-coms.