DTH at a Glance

My ceiling is caving in, and my landlord is on vacation in Italy.

It's starting. I had to windshield-wipe dead leaves off my car this weekend. Everything vaguely smells of pumpkin and cinnamon. I was getting dressed this morning and somehow ended up in an orange and brown, striped shirt that makes me look like the October version of Steve from "Blue's Clues."

Even if we try to hide behind our penniless college-student personas or the fact that half of us live in dorms, fall will find us. It doesn't discriminate, so we might as well celebrate its return in style. Prepare the miniature pumpkins.

Note: You know what else is festive as heck? Charity. And nothing says charity quite like anonymously reviewing Kelsey and me in front of our bosses. If that sounds like your cup of tea, please fill out this survey to let us know how we're doing with DTH at a Glance. We're all ears.

And as always, you can subscribe to our mail-in catalog of newsletters here.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• The Tar Heels might have been down 21-0 in the second quarter, but they fought their way to the largest comeback in the football program's history, beating Georgia Tech 38-31 on Saturday.
  • More than 80 years after our state's eugenics and forced sterilization programs, the General Assembly is still trying to compensate the victims.
  • Students discussed domestic violence in communities of color as a part of Carolina Advocating for Gender Equality's "Feminist Fridays."
  • UNC is $1.4 billion in debt (relatable!). But it also still has the highest possible credit rating (less relatable!).

IN HURRICANE NEWS

The 43rd Festifall Arts Festival had to be canceled this weekend. OK, Hurricane Joaquin. First it was my ceiling leaking a gallon of water and plaster on my bedroom floor while my landlord is conveniently vacationing in Italy. Then you go and cause the cancellation of Festifall. Who do you think you are, Joaquin? When will you be stopped?

IN TOWN NEWS

Krave hosted a "Kava with a Cop" community event on Saturday. Community members got a chance to sit down and chat with local law enforcement officers over a cup of the relaxing tea and root beverages. Because "Coffee with a Cop" just wasn't Carrboro enough.

IN GRAMMARIAN FANGIRLING

New York Times best-selling author Steven Pinker throws a little shade at Strunk and White. One of our copy chiefs sat down with him to discuss his opinion of which grammar rules are outdated, what snake person speech patterns are stupid and why we shouldn't liberally call an evil dictator a f*cker.

IN THE BLOGS (AND EVERYTHING I LOVE)

If you, too, are balling on a budget or literally not caring at all about your physical health: Here are the top five places to grab some food for under $5 in Chapel Hill. I've eaten three of them in the past two weeks and one of them in the past eight minutes. Cosmic is the breakfast of mediocre newsletter-smiths.

Being at college is no excuse for not being festive for the holidays. I don't care if you have $20 in your bank account and live in Ehaus — under no circumstances do you get a free pass from wholeheartedly celebrating Halloween, Thanksgiving, pagan Saturnalia or other winter holidays. So here are our 14 suggestions for you, ranging in price from free to like $10.