DTH at a Glance

Today's subtle nod to my cultural Catholicism

If you haven't seen a print copy of the paper yet (and if you managed to avoid our promotional Facebook event and cover photos), you might not be aware that today marks this year's first themed edition of The Daily Tar Heel. It's The Religion Issue, and our Special Projects and Investigations Team has had it in the works for weeks now. Sam Sabin, director of investigations and special projects, put a ton of planning into it.

Way more than I put into today's anecdote, which is missing mostly because I don't think you want to hear the thrilling tales of my time in Catholic school, navy sweater vests, corduroy and all. 

If you want those, you'll have to come to our community forum tomorrow at 6 p.m. at 151 E. Rosemary St., where our editors and some of our reporters will address your questions, comments or concerns about The Religion Issue. Hope to see you there. I'll be the one in corduroy.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• UNC's football team averaged 7.6 penalties per game in 2014. This season, it's focused on correcting its mistakes.
  • A UNC graduate's business designed Hawaiian shirts to raise money for the Eve Carson Memorial 5K.
  • A big, pink bus showed up on campus to protest the practices of Planned Parenthood yesterday.
  • And student organizations responded with their own big, pink signs to promote health services offered by Planned Parenthood.

IN TRANSPARENCY

Our projects and investigations team leader gives some context behind today's Religion Issue. Despite not personally identifying with many of the topics covered today, Sam explains her team's decision to tackle subjects of religion in the UNC community. Today's paper has been in the making since July, so we hope you enjoy it.

IN TRICKY EATING

Carolina Dining Services doesn't offer halal or kosher meats. When it comes to being devout followers of certain faiths, UNC students find that dining options in Chapel Hill can be limited. Maybe Franklin Street can replace a couple Tex-Mex joints with at least one place that serves kosher meat.

IN 'IT'S COMPLICATED'

Dating in college is hard, and dating someone of a different faith adds a whole other layer to the equation. A relationship coach says mutual respect is the key, and if you have that, you're probably solid. Yeah, it might get a little dicey when you start talking about a future with kids, but we're 20-somethings. When wouldn't it?

IN GAYBIES

Some religious organizations are opening their doors to same-sex couples wanting to adopt. In North Carolina, private and religiously affiliated agencies are within their rights to deny gay couples. But as times change, so do the stances of some organizations. Which is pretty exciting, considering I want a child by 28. (Wait, getting dicey. Sorry.)

FROM THE BLOGS

A self-professed scaredy-cat provides her rundown of the most haunted locations in the area. North Carolina in the fall has every paranormal phenomenon you could ever want — from the devil's personal workout site in Chatham County to a ghost who's got jokes at the Carolina Inn.

IN RATE MY NEWSLETTER-ER

If anything about today's newsletter annoyed you, we want to know. If anything made you laugh, we want to know that, too. This is your free pass to anonymously tell us what we're doing well, poorly or mediocrely in DTH at a Glance. You can't do anything to me that yesterday's midterm hasn't already, so lay it on me. Think of it kind of like Rate My Professor. I want a little chili pepper icon.

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Music Edition