DTH at a Glance

Today I share my second favorite Chrome extension with the world.

I learned about someone I truly hold as an inspiration and personal hero as I read today's DTH. You'd probably think it's the UNC professor who was awarded a Nobel Prize in chemistry yesterday morning. You'd be wrong. It's the guy who rappelled down the side of Hinton James this week. 

Not because I have any interest in breaking the law, or in heights as a general rule — it's because of his reason for prematurely launching off the side. He literally jumped off a 10th floor balcony because an RA was coming and he wanted to avoid conflict.

The most I do to avoid conflict is using my Chrome extension that prevents read receipts from sending with Facebook messages. I need to up my game.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• UNC's volleyball team *shockingly* beat N.C. State last night, securing day No. 1,118 of the Wolfpack not beating us in volleyball.
  • The UNC Employee Forum has taken an official stance against the privatization of Student Stores.
  • The Chapel Hill Ronald McDonald House, which provides housing for families of patients at the N.C. Children's Hospital, has been delayed by the recent bad weather.
  • The UNC School of Medicine sponsored "Doctors for Diversity" to highlight topics of sexuality and gender expression, among other identities, in health care practices.

IN THE HEROES WE DESERVE

A senior put on a ski mask and rappelled down the side of HoJo. He really did have plans not to get caught, but they promptly went out the window when he jumped to avoid conflict with an approaching RA. Officials are unclear on what punishment to administer, citing a lack of precedent.

IN ENTERTAINMENT

Chapel Hill's music scene has a diverse, fluctuating and fascinating history. The genres, venues and mediums might constantly be in flux, but musicians will always have a home in Chapel Hill and Carrboro.

IN #SCIENCE

A UNC professor won a Nobel Prize for his work in DNA repair. Which is really impressive and everything, but the true feat here is that he also won a lifetime parking pass at UNC. Maybe it's time to switch back to that biology major I had for my first two weeks here.

IN THE BLOGS

Apparently eating, sleeping and generally living your life inside the library isn't normal. An exchange student on staff thoroughly documented and lovingly poked fun at our study habits. She's informed me that it's not normal to have couches (or full meals) in a library. I'm heartbroken. I'm also never going abroad.

If you want less Danny and more sportsball, today's your day. Two of our sports writers sat down to talk with senior linebacker Shakeel Rashad, presumably about puppies and his latest crush. And because this is the seventh episode of our Press Coverage podcast, be sure to check out previous episodes.

IN SELF-REFLECTION

If you have anything to say about the newsletter, say it anonymously over the internet. Our online team wants the good, the bad and the ugly. I'm going to print out the meanest response we get and keep it on my fridge, so don't hold back.

And if you have anything to say about yesterday's Religion Issue, say it at our office. Our community forum is tonight at 6 p.m. Bring your praises, questions, concerns and marriage proposals to 151 E. Rosemary St.