DTH at a Glance

This is a safe space. No cat people allowed today.

This weekend, we had writers cover three different events specific to man's best friend. For people who have never had a dog, an annual event where people drive in from Washington state to mingle with other dog owners is probably ridiculous — and frankly, I don't think there's any way for someone who's never owned a dog to understand that.

But these stories and this newsletter are for those of you who have — who know what I feel when I say my dog has always been at my side whimpering as the stress of college leaves me on my bedroom floor in tears or assuredly resting at my feet when I'm home alone and swear I hear something move in the other room.

Granted, a 100-pound German shepherd is probably a little different than the experiences of corgi and dachshund owners, but you get the point. Dogs are great.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• The nonprofit Eyes, Ears, Nose and Paws held a silent auction and benefit concert to raise money for training the next generation of service dogs.
  • According to a recent study, elevator queen Cherie Berry is more likely to win re-election because of her mandatory photos in North Carolina elevators.
  • Mayor Mark Kleinschmidt and other well-known Chapel Hill residents put on their chef hats for the first ever "Chili Throwdown" to raise money for low-income youth.
  • For $80,000 to $200,000, UNC could be putting in persimmon trees and other edible plants around campus.
  • UNC field hockey almost swept the Longwood Lancers, winning 8-1 this weekend. I was going to make a pun, but I don't really know what a Lancer is.
  • Rosemary Street is about to experience a lot of developments. Also, it was named after two historical residents, Rose and Mary, and that's just adorable.

IN CAMPUS NEWS

Students read slave narratives for 24 hours straight in front of Silent Sam this weekend. Members of The Real Silent Sam Coalition read stories about the horrors of slavery to raise awareness in the shadow of the Confederate monument. They aimed to elevate the voices of black students and call into question the historical and cultural significances of the statue.

IN TOWN NEWS

The mayors of Chapel Hill and Carrboro mixed drinks this weekend to fight sexual assault. Mark Kleinschmidt and Lydia Lavelle took on bartending to help raise money and awareness for the Orange County Rape Crisis Center. Lavelle said she had never bartended before. You can't convince me Kleinschmidt hadn't.

IN CUTE, STUBBY DOG NEWS

About 30 dachshunds invaded Weaver Street Market this weekend. They wore ridiculous costumes. They played "musical sit." They bobbed for hot dogs, which is arguably cannibalism. But who cares because 30 freakin' dachshunds. If you missed it, it'll be about this time next year.

IN CUTE, STUBBY AND FUZZY DOG NEWS

An estimated 300 corgis came to Youngsville, N.C., for their 14th annual picnic. In what can only be accurately described as "like that Spartan movie but relevant," 300 Pembroke and Cardigan Welsh corgis came out to the N.C. Corgi Picnic. Yours truly reported on it, and I can say with certainty that it was my life's "Eat Pray Love" moment. Photos will be posted this afternoon.

IN THE BLOGS

Here's the quick news summary we created so you don't have to be the dumb friend anymore. It includes everything from ISIS's latest moves to Netflix raising its prices. News to Know is a lot like DTH at a Glance, except the content is national and global, and the writer is actually intelligent.

IN YOUR HELP

If you're an in-state student at UNC, help us by filling out this anonymous survey. It'll be for a story publishing on Wednesday, and we'd appreciate any help you can offer. Participants will be entered into a raffle to win my conditional love.