DTH at a Glance

This newsletter shares enough of my medical history to probably violate HIPAA.

In recent years, it's become a cool thing to debate whether or not to vaccinate your kids. And with flu season just around the corner, I'm here to urge you to please get your flu shots.

And as someone with my viral history, I'm here to urge you to please please for the love of God get the flu shot.

When I moved down here to North Carolina in the third grade, my immune system was assaulted with all kinds of horrible, rebel biological warfare. In the course of about a year, I got strep (thrice!), walking pneumonia and scarlet fever. The only other person I've ever heard of getting scarlet fever is literally the protagonist in a novel based in the 1940s. So please go get your free flu vaccination. It's free at Campus Health.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• The new UNC-system president is supposed to be announced today. View the live stream of the meeting starting around 11 a.m.
  • Chapel Hill, UNC and some development firms broke ground on Carolina Square yesterday, marking the beginning of construction on what will eventually be residential space, offices, a park and other things.
  • When two UNC players had to sit out against Wake Forest, cornerback Malik Simmons stepped up to the… whatever you step up to in football. And he did pretty well.
  • The Writing for the Screen and Stage Program plans to put on eight one-act plays written by seniors as part of its annual Long Story Shorts festival. 
  • The Department of Education apparently underestimated the graduation rates of UNC's Pell Grant recipients by almost 30 percent. Math is hard, guys.

IN REALITY TV

A UNC grad student flew to Austria to participate in a fantasy-world reality show. Being cast on a show you know virtually nothing about. Having your life filmed as you navigate being stuck in some illegitimate lovechild of Big Brother and Runescape. Jim Curry was truly living the dream.

IN VACCINATIONS

Campus Health offers free flu shots for students and employees. According to the CDC, October is pretty much your last call to get one. And comparing the student population at UNC to statistics about the flu, I'm not willing to take my chances on you germ bags not being vaccinated.

IN STATE NEWS

North Carolina has added more than 100,000 jobs since September last year. This clocks us in at having a job growth rate about 25 percent higher than the national average. But Gov. Pat McCrory himself could be shooting salaried jobs out of a T-shirt cannon, and I still wouldn't stay here after graduation.

IN TOWN NEWS

The fates of He's Not Here and La Residence are still up in the air. After this summer's drunken driving collision that killed three people, the ABC Commission is still seeking punishment for He's Not. The commission also rejected the compromise La Res offered. 

IN THE BLOGS

We talked to the producer of that viral Drake tennis Vine, and he's a student at Liberty. Liberty of all places. What a world. Also, we technically have three blogs about Drake today, but I'm only acknowledging this one because I (voice drops several decibels) don't like Drake. Please don't unsubscribe.