DTH at a Glance

This newsletter is just my elaborate way to call out The New York Times.

Like all necessary glues that hold together the fabric of our society (money, automobiles, modern medicine), the art of selfies can prove to be as dangerous as it is ubiquitous. According to Mashable, more people have died due to selfies than shark attacks in 2015.

In the spirit of the gravity of this discovery, I've compiled a list of my favorites to come into existence since Ellen took the selfie heard around the world. They are:

1) Nicki Minaj's selfie at an awards show in Glasgow, which ended in her profusely swearing at a person in a dinosaur suit on live television

2) My selfie with a professor at Linda's two nights ago, which I turned in as an assignment for a class

3) That time The New York Times falsely labeled a photo of Pluto as a selfie and publicly refused to issue a correction

4) Frida Kahlo's Self-Portrait with Thorn Necklace and Hummingbird, 1940

As always, you can subscribe to our various and sundry newsletters here.

QUICK HITS

• A Chapel Hill Town Council proposal might soon prevent you from being able to turn right on red at busy intersections.
  • Owners of an Asheville coffee shop were caught posting questionable stories about their sexual exploits, and people are really not happy about it.
  • About 200 students gathered to protest in defense of UNC employees who could lose their jobs if Student Stores is privatized.
  • The General Assembly passed a bill banning “sanctuary cities,” which limit the local enforcement of immigration laws. It’s now pending Gov. Pat McCrory’s approval.
  • To raise awareness of sexual assault, Project Dinah will read anonymous personal stories from survivors in the Pit at 7:30 tonight.

IN MILLENNIAL NEWS

We asked a bunch of UNC students for their craziest selfie-taking stories. Mashable recently broke the news that more people have died from selfies than sharks in 2015, so we took to the streets to ask about students' experiences in the matter — because honestly, being caught taking selfies is horrible and more or less the equivalent of dying.

IN FEATURED STUDENTS

If you've ever wanted a glimpse into the life of a director of a student improv group, today's your day. Luke Miller treks to his classes, supports his friends and gets actively ignored by strangers in the Pit just like the rest of us. But he’s also a B-School student, respected leader of Chapel Hill Players and a talented improv comedian.

IN CUTE ANIMAL NEWS

Some brilliant minds set up a Puppy Kissing Booth in the Pit yesterday and raised over $200. Ellie the bulldog, K.C. the sheltie and a golden retriever who has more Instagram followers than I do took to the Pit, charging $1 for normal photos and $5 for Polaroids. I know it’s cruel to inform you of this event after the fact, but trust me — if I were in charge of our breaking news emails, this would’ve been the first to go out.

IN NO SURPRISE TO IN-STATE READERS

North Carolina ranked second worst in the country for teachers this year. We came in at No. 50 of 51, according to a recent report. We literally lost to Georgia, you guys. Have you all ever been to Georgia? Guys.

IN UNCelebrities

One of our bloggers tracked down the UNC Campus Whistler, and he was awesome. The takeaway: Put yourself out there. Our writer might have initially done it for the content, but she also came away with a life-changing conversation and a (debatably) solid reason for arriving 20 minutes late to class.

IN THE BLOGS

You might suck in your classes, but don’t fret. There’s another way to feed your delusional feelings of superiority. Sure, that girl might’ve gotten a better grade than you and has a hot boyfriend, but does she know abstract nuances of English grammar? No, so you win. Trust me — I’ve been thinking like this for years.