DTH at a Glance

What embarrassing folders do you have on your desktop?

Part of me couldn't think of an anecdote today. The other part wanted to ~mix things up~

So rather than sharing something embarrassing from my past this morning, I'm instead showing you the direct result of it. From the time my body left its larval stage and I had functioning eyes, I've been voraciously watching nature documentaries. Like, I've seen so many that I can tell when "new" ones are lying and using stock footage.

Today, we learned scientists recently found a variation of the SARS virus in the Chinese horseshoe bat. To make sure you hate bats as much as I do, here are some fun facts I'd like to share from my Nat Geo memory bank: Species range in size from being the size of your thumb to having a 6-foot wingspan. There's one species in particular that lives in spider webs in Africa. Collectively as a species, they killed Cujo.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• Chapel Hill teamed up with a local artist to trick out a solar-power trailer for the holiday parade. Score one for the "Headlines I Never Thought I'd Write" folder on my desktop.
  • On Jan. 1, Chapel Hill plans to implement a no-tolerance policy toward alcohol and drugs in the workplace. Time to house-hunt in Carrboro :/
  • If you think your exams are stressful, please take some time to pray for all the music majors performing in Friday's Scholarship Benefit Concert. At least ECON 101 isn't open to the public.
  • C-SPAN visited and filmed HIST 120, Sports and American History, as part of a series on professors teaching their classes. Next week they'll follow up to record the floors dry in Carroll Hall.*

*This is a joke. They don't, of course, wash the floors in Carroll Hall.

IN CAMPUS NEWS

Starting Jan. 1, Carol Folt will have new assistant to the chancellor regarding race relations. The position comes during a time of national racial tension, particularly at the university level. UNC student groups plan to gather at South Building for a rally at 11 a.m. today to stand with the Concerned Students 1950 movement at Mizzou. 

IN FLYING VECTORS

Researchers found a new variation of SARS that bats can spread to people. If you don't know what SARS is, it's something scientists thought disappeared in the early 2000s and was only recently rediscovered by modern science inhabiting a species of bat — much like Kelis. So bats are more than just creepy, hairy, leathery sky rats. They're fluttering cesspools of extinct disease.

IN AGRICULTURE

Bernadette Pelissier is not running for re-election in order to "completely immerse" herself in her blueberry bushes. Score two for that folder today. The longstanding member of the Orange County Board of Commissioners is swapping out her days in politics for 90 acres of blueberry bushes and other agricultural bliss.

FROM THE BLOGS

The Daily Tar Heel's foreign correspondent (blogger from Spain) addresses the topic we've all waited for: men. She went out and asked her friends from Europe and the U.S. what they think of guys from each place and what they prefer. It was very scientific. As hypothesized, the consensus was a desperate plea to end Nike socks and sandals.