DTH at a Glance

Acknowledging grade school memories and my existential dread, which are for once unrelated

After I moved here in the third grade, I had exactly three friends. They were Ashley, who didn't really have a choice because she lived next-door, and her parents made her be my friend; Mrs. Jones, my teacher whose accent I couldn't really understand; and Daisy, who was Mrs. Jones' pet rat.

Between classes, when I could speak to neither Mrs. Jones nor her rat, some fourth grader came up and talked to me and asked if I'd vote for her to be on student government. I was mortified, but I voted for her.

Today is the first time in 12 years I heard of her or remembered she existed. She's now the co-editor of The Siren, UNC's feminist magazine, and they're about to drop their fall edition. I'm truly proud to see my vote boosted her extracurriculars enough to get her into UNC. I'm selfless.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• Orange County, a perpetual statewide priority, is the recent focus of the North Carolina Parks and Recreation's mountain-to-sea hiking trail.
  • In the same disconcerting nature as my upcoming finals, Chapel Hill Comic Con could be looming in the near future. Or at least the founders of UNC's TARDIS sci-fi club are in the planning stages of it.
  • As part of our Life & Death special section, we take a look into the lives of medical examiners and why they chose that career path. And I promise that unlike "Bones" or the entire "CSI" franchise, these people are actually interesting.
  • To paraphrase Amy Poehler: This weekend, the ninth annual downtown Chapel Hill Christmas tree was lit. And so was I.

IN SPECIAL SECTIONS

Today is our very first online-exclusive special section — the Life & Death Issue. Sam Sabin, our Director of Investigations and Special Projects, explains why her team decided to explore the difficult topics surrounding mortality. On our home page, you can find stories ranging from near-death experiences to biases against LGBT people in death penalty cases.

IN STUDENT MEDIA

The Siren, UNC's feminist magazine, is about to release its edition for fall 2015. Its coverage highlights issues of gender, sexuality, identity and human rights, which is really obvious. But as someone who has the privilege of professionally reading internet comments, I know we still need feminism spelled out for us, so here we are.

IN CAMPUS NEWS

There will be another protest against the privatization of UNC Student Stores today. Today is also the long-awaited Mammoth Monday sale. Come out and witness firsthand the freedom of petition and right to feed into mass consumerism. My two favorite inalienable rights guaranteed by the First Amendment.

IN BREAKING NEWS

We beat the Wolfpack at something. Again. UNC's football team scored its 11th consecutive win this weekend, beating N.C. State 45-34. I'm pretty indifferent about football, so normally I'd be unfazed. But you know who does care about this? State fans. So this is beautiful.

IN THE BLOGS

What's the weirdest or funniest Thanksgiving story you have? We went around and asked students for their anecdotes as they returned to campus yesterday. And considering I have no recollection of any Thanksgiving before I started documenting them via social media, I have to live vicariously through all of you. Don't disappoint me.