DTH at a Glance

I fit 83 pieces of candy corn in my mouth last night and also learned the official unit of candy corn is a kernel.

Though my faults are few and far between, there is one that always stands out. If I consider something a challenge, I am physically incapable of backing down from it. If you need anyone to vouch for me, ask the newsroom. I figured out I could fit 83 candy corn kernels in my mouth while I was writing today's newsletter because I thought I heard someone say I couldn't.

I'm sure these five friends suffer the same way I do. Before they all graduate, they've vowed to finish the UNC Bucket List we published back in 2011. They've outdone me almost fourfold, completing 87 tasks.

The only one I can think that I've finished is where you sit on the Davie Poplar bench with someone you want to stay with forever. I sat with a drink I bought from Starbucks.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• Our savior Marcus Paige returns tonight with a healed hand — just in time for the Tar Heels to take on No. 2 Maryland. Sports desk told if anyone can drag Maryland, it's Marcus.
  • A class of UNC graduate students could be behind a new bike share program in Carrboro if the Board of Aldermen approves the initiative.
  • If you're interested in the unholy lovechild of grammar principles and performance art, come see English 307's Gram-O-Rama performance tonight.
  • Johnston Regional Airport in Raleigh has been linked to a torture program from the CIA.
  • If you're stressing about finals, columnist and esteemed self-love guru Alice Wilder wants you to remember: You've accomplished a ton this semester, you're in the home stretch and it will be OK.

IN LGBT NEWS

N.C. Attorney General Roy Cooper didn't sign off to oppose transgender-friendly bathrooms in public schools. Gov. Pat McCrory asked that Cooper sign an amicus brief in a case surrounding a school's refusal to let a male transgender student use the boys' bathroom. And shockingly and definitely unlike every other civil rights violation in American history, opponents are citing overreach from the federal government as reason for their dissent.

IN UNREQUITED LOVES

Mayor Kleinschmidt may have lost the election, but he will rise again. That's best case scenario. Worst case scenario, he'll go back to caring for his family and defending people on death row. And probably saving puppies from fires.

IN CAMPUS NEWS

A petition from Morehead-Cain scholars to make undocumented immigrants eligible for the scholarship has more than 170 signatures. Because everyone, regardless of citizenship status, deserves an esoteric group of UNC students to call their own. (Morehead readers, kindly forget that jab when I'm applying to work for you in 10 years.)

IN UNC CHALLENGES

Five friends have made it their goal to finish the UNC Bucket List before they graduate. Over the years, they've completed 87 of 100 tasks, and they have five months left. The list was posted in 2011, so fingers crossed they got the one about meeting Holden Thorpe already.

IN TOWN NEWS

four-story hotel has officially gotten a thumbs up to replace Los Pos. Moe's came. It came, won your trust and is now systematically eliminating its competition — one excess Mexican restaurant at a time. But unlike a typical Franklin Tex-Mex joint, the new hotel is expected to net an annual $192,000 in general tax revenue.