DTH at a Glance

We have at least two genres of dog news today!

When I was little, a lot of people tried to get me involved in Pokemon. Teachers included. I remember them desperately trying to get me to play it with other kids.

Unfortunately for them, I was a religious binge-watcher of "Animal Cops: Houston." So 5-year-old me was quick to deduce that Pokemon was dog fighting, and anyone who played it was an accomplice to animal cruelty. I was a sensitive soul with animals.

Which is why today's story about 600 sad, lonely animals being saved from a run-down North Carolina "rescue" made me die on the inside. The shelter in Raeford, which is a town I just Googled and discovered is nowhere near any city I have ever even fleetingly heard of, is facing animal cruelty charges. There's still some justice in the world.

Danny

QUICK HITS

• UNC men's basketball fell to Louisville last night in a 71-65 loss.
  • A UNC Ph.D. candidate was charged on Friday after being found in possession of 2,700 tablets of what's believed to be Xanax and about 280 grams of marijuana.
  • Carrboro will be implementing housing wage levels for the town's employees two years earlier than initially expected.
  • North Carolina's controversial voter ID law is wrapping up its latest challenge from state civil rights groups in a federal court. The trial began in Winston-Salem on Jan. 25.
  • UNC has apparently composted more than 11 million pounds of waste — the equivalent of composting 2,400 elephant seals or three of my dirty laundry hampers.

IN MUSIC NEWS

A UNC graduate just rapped for 12.5 hours and now holds a world record for longest cypher. UNC employee Joshua Rowsey, or (J) Rowdy, rapped for a grand total of 12 hours, 36 minutes and 54 seconds with a group of his friends and fellow emcees. Would like everyone at this time to remember that Iggy Azalea couldn't freestyle for 90 seconds on a radio station.

IN SAD ANIMAL NEWS

More than 600 animals were rescued from a dilapidated, no-kill shelter in North Carolina. It was the second-largest companion rescue ever for the ASPCA, and now officials are trying to figure out what to do with all the dogs, cats, horses and sundry other fuzzy angels.

IN HAPPY ANIMAL NEWS!

Holden the Golden, the most important UNCelebrity in recent memory, has only one semester left to finish his bucket list. For context, he's a golden retriever with 12,000 Instagram followers. He has several tasks left, including high-fiving Roy Williams, drinking a blue cup from He's Not and graduating with his best friend and mom, Caroline Bowers.

IN THE BLOGS

Kelsey's here to tell you there's no shame in quitting something you used to love. There's also no honor in quitting because you're apathetic. But when you outgrow something, knowing to value your time and walk away is one of the greatest things you can do for yourself. You could always use that time for naps or Chipotle dates.