DTH at a Glance

We could all be a little more #aggressive, county commissioners

Today, we have a modern romance about two married UNC law professors. Her grandmother knew about him in advance from a newspaper article she read and wanted her granddaughter to meet him.

That speaks to me both as someone who works at a newspaper and as someone who has equally embarrassing stories about a family member* perpetually trying to get me a date. It typically unfolds over a series of texts, out of the blue, at 2 p.m., and the object of these texts is usually someone like a hairdresser who is "probably into guys."

*The family member involved in these attempts will remain anonymous because said family member subscribes to this newsletter.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• Christopher Morphew, a candidate for new dean of UNC's School of Education, said his job would be to share stories with legislators and donors to raise money, if he were selected.
  • Department of Public Safety officers confiscated one Ruger .22 caliber carbine, one 12-gauge shotgun and eight rounds of ammunition from a vehicle on campus.
  • The Daily Tar Heel has officially endorsed Bradley Opere for student body president.
  • North Carolina has requested a stay regarding a federal court's ruling to referee gerrymandered congressional districts — essentially saying, "Yeah, we'll get around to it after the primaries."

IN TOWN NEWS

The Orange County Board of Commissioners went on a retreat to prepare for 2016. Between (probable) marshmallow tower building and water balloon tosses, the board decided they needed to be #aggressive in their social goals this time around.

IN UNC-SYSTEM NEWS

Protestors arrested at the Jan. 26 Board of Governors meeting remain undeterred. UNC senior Madeleine Scanlon, who was demonstrating for the resignation of UNC-system President-elect Margaret Spellings (among other issues), is facing 24 hours of community service, a $180 fine and a prohibition on attending board meetings for a year.

IN CAMPUS ROMANCE

Two UNC law professors have the best love story I have ever heard in my entire life. They were introduced by a mutual acquaintance. Her grandmother heard about him from a newspaper article and wanted them to meet. Once they did meet, her misanthropic dog gave them its blessing. I might truly believe in love again.

IN MUSIC NEWS

There's an unlikely intersection with Native American culture and hip-hop, and UNC students will be exploring it later today. Kyle Mays plans to host a discussion to let students know that indigenous people are still around, they aren't their stereotypes and they aren't mutually exclusive with urban culture.