DTH at a Glance

It's my turn to do a thing I told myself I wouldn't do

The crown jewel of being a second-semester senior is getting to skip class registration. 

A close second is seeing all that you've worked for and learned throughout your life come together in a marvelous plan for your future, I guess... I don't know. I need a job.

I've had the very cool opportunity this semester to rid myself of traditional academia and do an independent study about email newsletters, which you can subscribe to at no cost at all.

My most recent project has been surveying 100 millennials to see what format they prefer for their newsletters, so I'm taking the recommendations I gleaned from that and applying it to today's newsletter. I'm running out of time on this throne to subject you all to my weird experiments.

On from shameless self-promotion to shameless content-promotion!

— Kelsey

THE GENDER ISSUE

• Ah yes, there's a special issue of the paper today. It's the Gender Issue, and I'll let our projects and investigations director explain why we decided to do it.
  • UNC has consistently had a powerful 60 to 40 ratio of women to men. This is the story of the road to Carolina Girl Power.
  • Only a third of UNC’s Counseling and Psychological Services patients are men, and it's likely due to masculine culture that encourages men to keep their emotions bottled up.
  • People born with intersex conditions present challenge to doctors at UNC and Duke. I really want you to click on this story because Danny wrote it. Also, it's good.
  • Non-binary and transgender people have to deal with policing of their gender presentation as it is, and voter ID laws certainly don't make their lives easier.
  • Title IX restrictions have kept the number of men's varsity sports at universities low, much to the dismay of the men's club gymnastics and crew teams.
  • Lindsey Oliver recognizes the "opportunity for organized aggression" that is rugby isn't a particularly feminine sport, but that doesn't stop her teammate from getting a manicure before each game.
  • Being a STEM major is hard. Being a female STEM major is a little harder. Being a female STEM graduate is remarkably difficult. Fewer women reach high-ranking positions, and moving up in the field has a great deal of external and internal pressure.
  • Plot twist: Biology is consistently one of the most popular majors among female UNC students. The last story is still true, though — it's difficult to overcome gender norms in the workforce once they have graduated.

OTHER EXCITING PREMIERE DAILY TAR HEEL CONTENT

• Gov. Pat McCrory's executive action is a little too complicated to explain in this newsletter, but I promise this article will help you understand it's many facets and all of its opposition. 
  • A first-year was so devastated by the game-that-shall-not-be-named that she cut her hair off. Honestly, I don't feel like it's that drastic.
  • I asked one of my writers to review something and she reviewed her own life. Being a first-year at UNC gets 4.8/5 stars, with points deducted for sleep deprivation and pollen.
  • We ranked all of the UNC celebrity Twitters. Spoiler alert, one doesn't actually exist.
  • I watched 10 documentaries last weekend and reviewed them all! My eyes are bleeding and I know it's not even the first time I've said that in a newsletter.