DTH at a Glance

It's, like, Thursday, right?

Last summer, I had an internship with a startup incubator in the journalism school, where we were tasked with coming up with the next big media products and ideas. Within 15 seconds of breaking off to brainstorm, I came up with "dog Tinder."

Today, I've learned that Dog Tinder exists. It's called Bark'N'Borrow, and one of our staffers just wrote a review for it.

I've created a profile for my German shepherd, and I will report back sometime next week.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• BREAKING: Still not over the fact that Dog Tinder is a thing. I repeat: There's an app where you can sign up to "borrow" dogs.
  • UNC was just named the ninth best public university in the country for African-American students by Essence and MONEY magazines
  • UNC's chapter of Active Minds scattered 1,100 backpacks throughout the quad yesterday to represent and bring awareness to young people lost to suicide every year.
  • The University has commemorated former mascot Jason Ray, who was struck by a car in 2007, with the dedication of the Jason Ray Transplant Clinic on Friday.

IN AGRICULTURE

Meet Joe Thompson, who runs North Carolina's only freshwater prawn farm west of I-95. He's a convert from Orange County's ailing tobacco industry, and his farm started with a few hip replacements and a two-acre shrimp pond.

IN ILLICIT DRUGS

The Drug Enforcement Administration is taking a second look at weed. Marijuana is currently a Schedule I controlled substance, like, you know, heroin. Whether marijuana should be "rescheduled" or "descheduled" is still subject to debate.

IN TOWN NEWS

A 14-member nonprofit based out of Carrboro recently won $1 million from Google. Miraclefeet, which focuses on treating clubfoot in developing countries, has helped 15,000 kids in 13 countries over the course of the six years.

IN MENTAL HEALTH

Fewer than 100 UNC students underload each semester for psychological or medical reasons. Because of UNC's academic pressure and the difficulty of the process, most students struggling with mental health keep up a regular course load while getting help from counseling services.