DTH at a Glance

Livin' the dream

When I was young and naive, unfettered by the realities of a competitive workforce and the increasing cost of living, I believed the good ole saying, "You can be anything you want when you grow up." 

Fast forward 15 years and I haven't started any profitable companies or made groundbreaking contributions to science — I have, however, been wearing Birkenstocks for so long I seriously questions if I remember how to tie my own shoes.

The students over at the J school who are going to Rio to cover the summer olympics, however, are living that statement to its fullest extent. These students, some of which postponed their graduation to report on the games, are truly adulting.   

– Sofia

IN QUICKHITS

• Muralist Michael Brown will be bringing his talent once again to Carrboro with a new piece on the corner of Jones Ferry and 54. The mural will incorporate art created by students of local elementary schools. 
  • Football season is just around the corner and we can't wait to see our Tar Heels shine again this season. Staff writer John Bauman takes a deeper look at the strengths of three defenders on next year's roster. 
  • Hill Hall was recently demolished, but not before its history was thoroughly categorized. This monumental task was undertook by recent graduate Isaac Warshauer. 

IN CAMPUS NEWS

Graduate students Katie Stember and Aspen Gutgsell are making smiles blossom at UNC hospitals with their project "Heeling Flowers." By re-purposing flowers from local events, the pair is able to create bouquets for patients at the hospital. 

IN STATE NEWS

The new state budget brings big changes to UNC. The UNC system will lose nearly $1 billion dollars in the new budget while also freezing tuition rates. 

IN ARTS NEWS

PlayMakers Summer Youth Conservatory has been spending the past five weeks rehearsing for "Violet" the musical. The play will run at Paul Green Theatre until July 31.