DTH at a Glance

Having "furry" sound appropriate in a coyote headline is a lot harder than you think

Aside from my friends, co-workers, professors who've convinced me not to drop out and move to New Orleans, etc., the most influential people in my life at Carolina have by far been the baristas. I had a torrid love affair with them in the newsletter last year, and I have plans with some of my faves (hey, Vivian) to be in my graduation photos come May.

And because caffeine is important and baristas are the heroes we don't deserve, we sat down with one to have her explain how to make bougie coffee at home.

So if you still need something to wake you up this morning, we've got you covered.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• Alternatively, if you're on your morning commute right now and want to avoid talking to people, give our first audio story of the year a listen. It's with UNC's Abel Sanchez, and it's on how his architectural background helps him be a better diving coach.
  • Coyote sightings in Carrboro have been on the rise lately or something, but more immediate news: "Furbearer biologist" is a real job that real people have.
  • Keep an eye out for UNC men's soccer this season — a senior writer who's smarter than me just referred to this roster as "one of the best in recent memory."
  • UNC spokesperson and favorite Olympic alternate Jim Gregory is retiring Aug. 31. He'll be replaced in the interim by Mike McFarland.

IN STATE NEWS

If you ask North Carolina state law, police body camera footagshouldn't be public record. Starting in October, the only way you can request to see film — including from the cameras Chapel Hill police are getting this fall — is if it's of you or someone you're representing.

IN ALCOHOLIC PROTEST

People apparently liked queer beer as much as I did last spring. Don’t Be Mean to People: A Golden Rule Saison, created by brewers in Durham and Hillsborough, has raised more than $42,000 for LGBTQ-friendly organizations in response to the passage of House Bill 2.

IN THE PRESIDENTIAL RACE

The Donald Trump campaign just hired a new campaign director for North Carolina. The change coincides with a lawsuit against the former director, who was accused of pointing a gun at a campaign staffer.

IN SWERVE

From "Folt-lore" to a napping LFIT, a writer came up with her course schedule of classes that aren't offered at UNC but definitely should be. Stay tuned for my sequel, "First-year seminars I've taken but definitely shouldn't exist at UNC."

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Music Edition