Monday, March 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: 'World of Warcraft' edition

Recently, we wrote an article deciphering UNC lingo for confused first-years.

Being a sophomore this year, I’ve been so excited to finally move on from my first-year ways, but apparently I’m not quite as grown as I thought I was.

Upon seeing the URL “History of WoW” in the DTH system, I automatically assumed that “WoW” stood for World of Warcraft, which I was obsessed with from the time I was in the fourth grade until I hit my angsty teen phase in about 2009, and to which I also had a deep spiritual connection.

No, readers. No.

As most students know by now, WoW stands for Week of Welcome, which has been a tradition since the early 2000s and given thousands of students an idea of what life at UNC is like. It has nothing to do with wizards, warlocks, warcraft or the like.

— Tiana

QUICK HITS

• North Carolinians buying health care from the Affordable Care Act marketplace should expect to see their options decrease within the next year.
  • Connie Mahan, PlayMakers Repertory Company’s communications director and a dedicated member of the theater community, was killed Thursday night in a head-on collision on Raleigh Road. 
  • Four years after coming to UNC, Larry Fedora is still answering questions about the football team's offense.
  • The Department of Public Safety released an app that allows students to send them anonymous tips on anything from traffic accidents to incidents of self-harm.

IN THINGS THAT ARE NOT WORLD OF WARCRAFT

Week of Welcome continues to introduce first-years and transfers to the UNC community with open arms. From drinking from the Old Well on FDOC to a cappella workshops, WoW is a tradition loved by students new and old. 

IN VOTER ID LAWS

How much do you really know about voting rights in North Carolina? Now that the Supreme Court has struck down the state's voter ID law, we take a look back on how the policy has affected voters' rights throughout history.

STRAIGHT OUTTA COMP 110

At this point, you may be more likely to meet the Queen of England than to get into a class taught by Kris Jordan. With more than 900 enrolled students and more still looking for a seat in his class, the COMP 110 professor is not only an outstanding educator, but a beloved UNCelebrity.

IN SUPERHERO DREAMS

Sophomores Jack Davis and Ellie Lewis are bringing kids' superhero designs to life. The pair has partnered with the UNC Children's Hospital and local comic book artists to create professional designs of characters from patients' imaginations. 

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Music Edition