Monday, March 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

DTH at a Glance

In which I nearly skipped the first day of class to keep listening to Frank's new album

Hello, subscribers old and new — and welcome to another great year of DTH at a Glance! I'm Danny Nett, the DTH's online managing editor, and I'll be returning to write the newsletter once per week this fall.

In my place the remainder of the time are our ambitious new social media managers, Tiana Attride and Adrianna Stallworth. Follow them on Twitter; love them like I pretend you loved me last year. And enjoy Tiana's very first newsletter!

I am one to do a lot of complaining. One might say it is my greatest skill. Were complaining a degree, I would already have my Ph.D; were it a country, I would be president; were it an Olympic sport, I would be the Simone Biles.

Right now, I could complain about my 8 a.m. class. I could complain about the heat and the fact that I'm resigned to wear denim shorts that make my thighs chafe.

But then, just before FDOC, Frank Ocean's new album finally dropped, so I've given up complaining to dedicate more time to religiously listening, rejoicing, thanking the sweet, benevolent music gods, etc.

— Tiana

QUICK HITS

• This November, the Chancellor's Task Force has plans to open an exhibit explaining Carolina Hall, its former namesake's connection to the Ku Klux Klan, and its racially charged history.
  • Deborah Ross, a little-known former N.C. legislator, is giving incumbent Richard Burr a run for his money in the race for a seat in the U.S. Senate.
  • The popular annual poster sale at the Chapel Hill Street Scene Teen Center is essentially transforming UNC students into interior decorators.
  • Coming projects by UNC's Edible Campus mean students will learn more about the benefits of healthy eating. Also, it means free snacks on the walk to class.
  • Father, UNC graduate and children's book author Paul Clark spoke to us about his new book, "Nibbles the Squirrel Explores Chapel Hill."

IN CAMPUS COFFEE NEWS

“This is kind of a coffee shop that is run by students that will then operate back for students." After the departure of The Daily Grind, new Campus Y coffee shop The Meantime promises to keep the profits at UNC.

IN NUCLEAR POWER

UNC professor David McNelis calls for the use of as much nuclear energy as possible. In a recent News & Observer article, he points out the dangers of overlooking what could be a promising power source.

IN MARIJUANA NEWS

The DEA has decided that marijuana will remain a Schedule I controlled substance. Although the group contains more dangerous drugs than marijuana, relative danger wasn't considered as a deciding factor.

IN LONG OVERDUE ALBUMS

After what seems like a lifetime of waiting, crying and anticipating, Frank Ocean has finally released his second album. Amen.

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Music Edition