DTH at a Glance

Please don't unsubscribe because of my uncultured-ness.

I'm gonna be real here: I am a tasteless, unapologetic hater of all things artistic.

Pottery should be 3-D printed. Music that doesn't have bass is boring. I don't understand expressionism or impressionism or Great Depressionism or whatever era that ugly Monet painting of a pond that needs to be sharpened on Instagram belongs in. But the thing I can love and admire in every shape, form and fashion is a good drink.

For the record, I have mumbled the words, "I need a stiff Jim Bean" exactly once in my life, and it was while staggering out of a three-hour a cappella concert. And today one of our writers, Rachel, made an official drinking game for surviving collegiate a cappella. It is everything.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• A federal court in Texas recently challenged the Department of Education's interpretation that Title IX encompasses protections for transgender students.
  • Keep an eye out for UNC's field hockey team as it enters the season ranked No. 1.
  • Delaware-based Calvert Retail has purchased Southern Season for $3.5 million after it filed for bankruptcy in late June.
  • The University of Vermont has pulled out of its women's basketball game against UNC in response to House Bill 2.

IN TRANSPARENCY

In a sleep-deprived oversight, I inaccurately said in yesterday's newsletter that UNC spokesperson Jim Gregory is retiring. He is not retiring, just leaving his position at UNC. Eligible employers, hit him up.

IN FAST TURNAROUNDS

Former Illinois football coach Tim Beckman has resigned from his volunteer position with UNC football after his presence was deemed a distraction. Beckman was fired from Illinois amid allegations that he mistreated players.

IN UNIVERSITY NEWS

UNC is facing a federal complaint for its use of live animals in medical research. UNC will likely have an unannounced inspection by the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service in the next several weeks.

IN THE NEWSROOM

Our photo co-editor Alex Kormann kicked off the first installment of our "Behind the Headlines" series to describe how he created yesterday's front-page photo illustration. Yours truly proudly served as a test model who was not good enough for the final cut.

IN STUDENT NEWS

In case a bunch of 16-year-olds toting gold medals hadn't already made you feel bad about yourself, here are some really awesome first-hand accounts from our journalism school peers who traveled to Rio to cover the Games this year.

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Music Edition