DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Beez in the Trap

When I was about 5 years old, I got stung on the hand by a bee. After that, I would run away crying from anything with black and yellow stripes, whether it was an actual insect or a zebra I colored incorrectly during kindergarten.

Then, in 2007 at the tender age of 10, I saw "Bee Movie" in theaters. Understanding how a grown woman could possibly fall in love with a bee was (and still is) out of my grasp, but the movie did help me gain some sympathy for the little guys.

"Bee Movie" taught me that without them, we literally would not have food, and as someone who considers food to be the No. 1 thing that matters to me, I took this into account when forming my final opinion on the world’s most needed bug.

Final verdict: Save the bees. But also, please keep the bees the heck away from me.

— Tiana

QUICK HITS

• UNC sophomore Delaney Robinson came forward to say a UNC football player sexually assaulted her in February 2016. UNC linebacker Allen Artis has been suspended indefinitely from the team due to misdemeanor charges against him, though what the charges are hasn't been confirmed.
  • Hundreds turned out for the annual Good Neighbor Initiative Block Party Tuesday evening, bringing together student and non-student residents for some free food and bonding time.
  • Student Congress gave approval to the UNC Muslim Students Association to allow them to create an external bank account. The group plans to use the account to fundraise for the construction of a Muslim Student Center.

IN ELECTION PREP

Student groups are getting ready for a busy November. With seats for governor, Senate and the presidency up for grabs, organizations like the Young Democrats, the UNC College Republicans and more are spreading their political messages both around campus and within their own groups.

IN RICE AND BEANS

Hunger Lunch is back and ready to nourish UNC. This year, the organization has partnered with UNC alum Cecilia Polanco’s food business, So Good Pupusas, to serve students and raise money for nonprofit service projects abroad.

IN RETAIL THERAPY

A new shopping center is on the way to Carrboro. South Green, located on South Greensboro Street, will consist of 40,000 square feet of shops with a shared free parking lot for customers. Gary Hill, a partner of South Green, said that although the project is moving slowly, he hopes to announce the group of tenants that have already signed leases soon.

IN SPONSORED CONTENT

If you're needing extra help learning how to adult this week, check out the UNC Career Services Job and Internship Expo on Thursday, the 15th. Bring your fancy Adobe resumes, online portfolios and other pro moves from our list of tips.

IN SPONSORED CONTENT

And join the Carolina Recovery Program for its month of activities planned for Recovery Awareness Month. The "work hard, play harder" culture of college can make campus a tough place for students recovering from substance abuse, but you aren't in it alone.