DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Broad Witty

My senior year of high school was a mess for a lot of reasons, and my Valentine's Day was kind of the best/worst example of that. I got up at 6 a.m. and drove to volunteer at my friend's 5K for charity, which she overslept for (I hate driving, running and waking up early, so this was a big deal). That night, I broke my curfew and got lost on the highway because my phone had died. Also, I was single. 

But I ended up not hating the whole day. In the hours between pointing people down the right street for the run and pulling over crying in an IHOP parking lot, I hung out at my best friend's house and watched Broad City for six straight hours. I love that show so much and I'm so incredibly jealous of our Swerve assistant editor Morgan, who got to interview Hannibal Burress (who plays Lincoln) ahead of his Raleigh show tonight. 

— Rachel

QUICK HITS

• Last night marked the third night of protests in Charlotte after Keith Scott was killed by a police officer. Here's our coverage and more details from the shooting.
  • The Board of Trustees met Thursday to discuss recent issues facing the system and take suggestions from students. Among them was student government Vice President Sam Green, who discussed the importance of voting and dropped off a specific musical request for Chancellor Folt.
  • The second annual Deah Day honored the victims of the 2015 Chapel Hill shooting with 1,500 combined hours of community service. Volunteers traveled to 26 sites in four cities and then attended a reception to honor the former School of Dentistry students.

IN SINKING FEELINGS

Will the owner of the Ford Explorer please get their car out of the street? A five-foot-deep sinkhole opened up on Pritchard Avenue Thursday morning due to a burst in the waterline under the road. It should take about a week to repair the street, and residents are being advised to boil their water before using it. 

IN FORUMS AND FUNDING

UNC-system President Margaret Spellings headlined this semester's Carolina Forum alongside Katie Haycock, CEO of the Education Trust. The forum focused on bipartisan education efforts, HBCUs, state budget cuts and No Child Left Behind, which was Spellings' signature legislation during her tenure as George Bush's Secretary of Education.

IN LIFTING CURSES

Women's soccer broke its losing streak on Thursday with a 3-0 win against the Virginia Tech Hokies. First-year Bridgette Andrzejewski had a standout game with two goals, and junior Annie Kingman started the game strong with UNC's first goal in the 14th minute of play. The Tar Heels are looking to carry their winning momentum into Saturday's game against Clemson.

IN SPONSORED CONTENT

If you're looking for a book on this week's rainy days, think about "Hear the Bells." It follows a UNC medical student who gets swept up in gang activity. Need we say more?

IN SPONSORED CONTENT

If your loved ones are recovering from struggling with substance abuse, thoughtful and inclusive language can go a long way in supporting them. Here are some suggestions.