DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Every teardrop is a waterfall

In my first grade art class, we did a project where we painted waterfalls. Mine, a flowing beauty backed by a purplish-greenish-brownish sky and surrounded by a magical forest, I considered to be an absolute masterpiece — my magnum opus, the highlight of my career. The classroom was my studio; the school hallway, the MOMA.

Then one day a few years ago, my mom and I were looking at all my childhood art projects, which she’d hung up on the living room wall. When I commented on how proud of that particular piece I’d been, she had no clue what I was talking about.

In fact, she never even realized it was a waterfall. She'd thought it was a painting of a log for almost 10 years.

I hope the elementary schoolers with art on the new mural in Carrboro don’t ever have to experience the same trauma.

— Tiana

QUICK HITS

• UNC’s National Pan-Hellenic Council has narrowed in on a proposal for plots, monuments to the historical aspects of African-American organizations, to be installed on campus.
  • The season for tailgates has begun — and with it, so has the season for poor air quality, according to a study from N.C. State.
  • A dedication ceremony for a new mural showcasing the art of Carrboro elementary school students was held Saturday at the Carrboro Town Commons.
  • A rare species of whale washed up on Nag’s Head beach in the Outer Banks last Friday evening, pregnant and barely alive.

IN PROTESTS

Over 100 students clad in all black remained seated during the National Anthem at Saturday’s game against Pittsburgh. The demonstration was organized in response to the death of Keith Lamont Scott, a black man who was shot and killed by a police officer in Charlotte last week, and aimed to start a conversation on police brutality.

IN ACADEMIC FREEDOM

The freedom to conduct research without interference at UNC is being questioned. Some believe both students and professors should be able to freely research their interests; others believe the right belongs only to students and that teachers should focus on balance. The debate will take place in Wilson Library on Sep. 26 at 4 p.m.

IN FEMINISM

Feminist author and activist Gloria Steinem visited campus on Friday to discuss the upcoming election. Steinem praised volunteers for registering voters during chaotic election cycles, highlighted the political importance of North Carolina, and ended by questioning Donald Trump’s true success as a businessman.

IN PRIDE

The Triangle gathered together in Durham on Saturday for North Carolina’s 32nd annual Pride festival. Flags of all different colors representing different sexualities and gender identities hung high in the streets of Chapel Hill. People celebrated the LGBTQ community with a parade, speeches, night festivals and an N.C. Pride 5K Run. Also in attendance: a whole lot of precious Pride puppies.