DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: If you're not Team NSYNC: bye, bye, bye

There are very few things that make me dislike a person. I believe in the benefit of the doubt and like to assume that most people are respectable human beings. But the one thing I absolutely cannot tolerate is an individual who believes the Backstreet Boys are in any way superior to NSYNC.

“I Want It That Way” and “Larger Than Life” are bops — this, I can admit. However:

(a) “Bye Bye Bye” is the ultimate diss track,

(b) “It’s Gonna Be May” returns as a meme every single year,

(c) Anything involving Justin Timberlake gets my full support. Every. Time.

Some people, though, see more in boy bands than just overplayed pop songs about true love or uncomfortably tight pants. For some, the boy band holds power — for example, Durham-based ad agency McKinney, who has created a parody group that aims to say bye, bye, bye to HB2.

— Tiana

QUICK HITS

• Hopscotch, one of the Triangle’s biggest music festivals, took over the area this weekend. Not only did UNC students cover the event, but former UNC students helped make it happen.
  • Most current UNC undergrads were only children when the events of 9/11 took place. We asked them what they remembered about the day and how it has affected their lives today.
  • UNC volleyball learned a hard but valuable lesson this weekend after losing 3-1 to Minnesota in the ACC-Big Ten Challenge.

IN BOYCOTT BANDS

Durham-based ad agency McKinney is fighting against HB2 with the power of the musical mockumentary.Boycott Band: The Return of One More Wish” follows the road of an unsuccessful boy band as they reunite to bring down HB2 in an unexpected way: rebranding themselves and playing every show that was cancelled to protest the bill.

IN MAKING A COMEBACK

Mitch Trubisky felt the sting from UNC’s loss to Georgia. He took a moment to mourn. And then he returned with a vengeance, leading UNC to defeat Illinois 48-23 on Saturday night and successfully showing the haters what’s good.

IN MUSIC AND MAGIC

“What I am selling to you this evening is fantasy-become-reality, dreams realized, a vehicle to another dimension.” On Saturday night, UNC graduate Ellis Dyson & the Shambles brought a spectacle of music and theater to Cat’s Cradle. “Mr. Medicimo’s Medicine Show”, an original, vaudevillian comedic variety show, went on just in time for the band to celebrate the one-year anniversary of their solo album release.

IN PROFESSORS JUST NOT GETTING IT

They might think they know their students, but there are some things that professors just don’t understand. Here’s what a few UNC students wish their professors could know about them.