DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Mom, dad, I'm yatted

Tattoos are cool. Tattoos are art. Tattoos are something I wish I could get. Unfortunately, that won’t be happening any time soon for three reasons:

(a) I want my parents to continue to pay for my higher education;

(b) The only place I can think to get one is on my butt, thanks to Bronwyn Bishop;

(c) On a scale of commitment levels, I fall somewhere between “ghosting Tinder matches after two replies” and “never giving a solid yes to lunch plans."

So ink is not in my foreseeable future. If I ever decide to settle down and commit, though, at least I know I can rely on Swerve to update me on where to get tatted in Chapel Hill and what to remember before I get tatted.

— Tiana

QUICK HITS

• Carolina Dining services designed its 2016-17 menu to try to meet the desires of the students, working with the Student Dining Board to approve additions like the protein salad station and the burrito and wok bars.
  • Local chefs, farmers and foodies from all different backgrounds will gather to discuss the role of food in their lives at the first Carolina Food Summit.
  • The Bluegrass Initiative, a new project by music department professor Jocelyn Neal, will include a course on the history and culture of bluegrass music to give the genre a formal presence at UNC.
  • November’s election season will give constituents the chance to determine whether the North Carolina Supreme Court will swing in favor of Republicans or Democrats.

IN ELECTION NEWS

Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump faced off in New York for the first 2016 presidential debate on Monday night. Issues covered included improving race relations in the U.S., working on international relations and defeating terrorism both domestic and abroad. As expected, everyone’s Twitter feed was fire and fact-checkers had a field day.

IN POLICE SHOOTINGS

Analysts are saying that recent controversies surrounding police brutality may not have a huge impact on upcoming state senatorial and gubernatorial elections. Despite the unrest caused by the shooting of Keith Lamont Scott, candidates’ responses were deemed largely appropriate, and no real attempt to divide the people was made.

IN FIRST AMENDMENT RIGHTS

A high school history teacher from Fayetteville was suspended last week for stepping on an American flag during a lesson on the First Amendment. Although Lee Francis’s actions were indeed protected by the Constitution, many felt that it was inappropriate given the school’s proximity to Fort Bragg and the possibility that some students may have family with backgrounds in the military.

IN TATTOOS AND REAL ESTATE

“The very first thing I tattooed on was bananas.” In this week’s installation of From the archives DTH’s Swerve is bringing back our interview with Megan Thayer, owner of Ascension Tattoos. Former staffer Sarah McQuillan talked to the artist on making the move from real estate to tattoos and piercings, as well as what it’s like to balance life at the shop with life at home with two sons.