DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: Stick and Joke

Warning: My journalistic integrity is 100 percent compromised.

This week Swerve interviewed two people about getting stick-and-poke tattoos. What isn't mentioned in the article is that I was there when the tattoos happened.

Before my parents (thanks for subscribing this week, mom) start driving to Chapel Hill: I didn't get one; I was just in the room! But I did learn a lot of lessons that night: Use sterile needles, get something small and maybe stop and think about the fact that you're dating someone who has unironically covered "Wonderwall" on multiple occasions.

— Rachel

QUICK HITS

• Read up on one of our assistant editor's stories today about the complicated and concerning relationship between college athletics, sexual assault and public opinion.
  • Carolina Dining Services employee Garrett Wilson died on Sunday after 44 years at UNC. Wilson genuinely cared about every student and employee who passed through the dining halls, and he will be missed by many.
  • The $3 million renovation of Hooker Fields is almost completed, and Campus Recreation is putting it right back to work, now with more field space and WiFi.

IN SHIFTY SCIENCE

You better shape up — now that materials can do it, the rest of us have no excuse. We held a Q&A with Sergei Sheiko, a professor in the UNC Department of Chemistry who served as the lead writer on a research paper about materials that could be programmed to shape-shift over time. Possible applications include construction, non-invasive medical procedures and being cool as hell.

IN POLITICAL PANELS

Local cartoonist Keith Knight spoke at a TEDxUNC event on Wednesday about activism through comics. His career has garnered controversy as he tackles police brutality and racism in his art, which has been featured in various national publications and won acclaim from several comic communites and the NAACP.

IN GAME SHOW GAMUTS

UNC senior Elizabeth Grady was a contestant in Wednesday's episode of "The Price is Right." Her participation in the game show was the culmination of years of watching the show with her grandmother — so naturally as soon as she got the call to come on down, she blacked out the whole experience. But all things considered, she did pretty well and came away from the competition with two mountain bikes, a trip to the Bahamas and the experience of a lifetime.

IN FIELD HOCKEY FRIENDSHIPS

Emily Bozek and Emma Wold were inseparable for years, until the moment they weren't. The field hockey stars seemed destined for a championship to complement their incredible friendship until Bozek was diagnosed with a sequestered lung after their junior season. But after a season on the sidelines as an undergraduate assistant coach, Bozek is back in the game with her best friend sheering her on.

IN SPONSORED CONTENT

There are two more Music on the Porch concerts on Thursdays this fall. Come out and join the Center for the Study of the American South for its series all about celebrating (the fun) aspects of Southern culture.

IN SPONSORED CONTENT

Meet Shane Phillips, a graduate student in the UNC School of Social Work. He's been in sustained recovery since he was 18, and his story is part of the Carolina Recovery Program's awareness month going on for all members of the UNC community.