DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: A hit below the asteroid belt

When I was younger, I used to be obsessed with going to space. As in, so obsessed that for years I said I wanted my body to be buried on the moon when I died.

Then, I came to college and took Astronomy 101 my first semester. Initially, it was fun. But once we stopped looking at pretty pictures and the astrophysics hit, my dreams of flying through the final frontier died a pretty quick death.

I reached for the moon, missed, and didn’t even land among the stars. Mostly, I just landed a solid C-. And while it’s safe to say that no amount of training at Morehead Planetarium is likely to help me become an astronaut, it once made dreams come true for astronauts as famous as Neil Armstrong.

— Tiana

QUICK HITS

• First lady Michelle Obama visited N.C. State on Tuesday afternoon to campaign for Hillary Clinton, labeling the candidate as one of the most qualified people ever to run for president.
  • The reason for Monday’s fire alarm at Davis Library was finally discovered. Nothing was actually on fire — the alarm panels are just really, really old.
  • Sick of wearing the same leggings every day during the fall? So are we. Here’s how to mix it up, courtesy of our fashion experts at Swerve. (Next, we can work on the running shorts and big T-shirt combo.)
  • If you’ve ever wanted to know how to weave a basket from pine needles, Board of Aldermen member Bethany Chaney has been doing so for a decade and has probably got you covered.

IN SPACE!!

Morehead Planetarium once led training that protected the lives of astronauts like Neil Armstrong and Alan Shepard. Teaching astronauts celestial navigation ensured astronauts would be prepared in case their automatic navigation systems failed while in space. In other words, UNC was involved in helping the first man on the moon not get sucked into the endless vacuum of space. I love my school.

IN EXTREME WEATHER

Hurricane Matthew is set to hit North Carolina toward the end of this week. The storm, which has already resulted in nine deaths, has placed the state's central and eastern regions in a state of emergency. Rick Luettich, director of the UNC Institute of Marine Science, said that in his 30 years of living on the N.C. coast, he has never seen a storm like Hurricane Matthew.

IN SUPPORTING VICTIMS OF VIOLENCE

Have you noticed the strange orange flag waving from the Post Office on East Franklin? It was raised as a symbol for National Gun Violence Awareness Day on June 2 and has not been taken down in tribute to victims of gun violence. While originally the banner would only be displayed for a few weeks, events in Orlando and Charlotte have prompted leadership in Chapel Hill to keep it flying.

IN CHRISTOPHER COLUMBUS BEING NOT COOL

Chapel Hill and Carrboro will focus on celebrating Indigenous Peoples’ Day this year. The Carrboro Board of Aldermen seeks to recognize the history surrounding Columbus’s landing in America, honor the inhabitants of North America before Europeans colonized it, and make the community more inclusive for those of Native American descent.

IN SPONSORED CONTENT

There are two more Music on the Porch concerts on Thursdays this fall. Come out and join the Center for the Study of the American South for its series all about celebrating (the fun) aspects of Southern culture.

IN SPONSORED CONTENT

Meet Shane Phillips, a graduate student in the UNC School of Social Work. He's been in sustained recovery since he was 18, and his story is part of the Carolina Recovery Program's awareness month going on for all members of the UNC community.