DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: And just when you thought I couldn’t get messier

My life was a mess before Fall Break.

I spent it in Toronto this year, my flight left at 6 a.m., and at 2 a.m. I was still searching for my passport and washing my underwear in the sink because I was too lazy to do laundry for real. On top of that, I woke up an hour before I was supposed to catch my flight, and also forgot to tell my bank I was leaving the country. :-)

As I write, it’s the night before school starts back up, so you think I’d be well-rested and ready to get it together. You’re wrong. I fly in from Toronto at 6 a.m., have a two-hour layover in D.C. and am missing class because I didn’t want to pay $20 extra for a Sunday flight. Also, I have done zero homework.

So, though I am wildly unprepared for life, it doesn’t mean you have to be. Today, we bring you guides to perhaps the two most difficult things to prepare for: Halloween now (and housing to come).

— Tiana

QUICK HITS

• After the Charlotte Observer filed a lawsuit earlier this month, the governor's office has finally released thousands of pages of House Bill 2-related emails — over six months after the original public records request was filed.
  • Addressing and adjudicating cases of gender-based violence has not come easily to UNC in the 44 years since Title IX was implemented, and there is still plenty of work to be done to the University’s system of handling reports of sexual assault on campus.
  • In a true display of brotherhood, UNC senior wide receiver Bug Howard wore senior Mack Hollins’ No. 13 jersey at Saturday’s game against Virginia after Hollins’ career was cut short by a broken collarbone. (Audience cue: Everybody say "AWWWW!")
  • In "Extreme Makeover: Wilson Library Edition," good news. A 1958 UNC graduate recently gave $5 million for Wilson’s grand reading room to get all dolled up — the largest single gift UNC Libraries has ever received.

IN HE’S NOT HERE  (AND NEITHER ARE BLUE CUPS)

He’s Not’s infamous Blue Cups blushed this weekend. In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, the Chapel Hill favorite made its signature Blue Cups pink. The sale of the specialty cups will go on until the end of October, and the proceeds from each Pink Cup will be split between two Triangle-based organizations searching for a cure.

IN THE ELECTION ROAD LEADING TO RALEIGH

Presidential candidate Hillary Clinton visited St. Augustine’s University in Raleigh on Sunday. The Democratic nominee used the campaign event to further point out that she is nothing like Republican candidate Donald Trump. Mothers of those affected by police brutality (including Trayvon Martin and Sandra Bland) introduced Clinton, who went on to speak about Trump, the economy under President Obama and calls to end systemic racism.

IN ART!!!!

The Ackland Art Museum wants you. After a change in leadership this summer, the Ackland is expanding its services to generate more student involvement. The museum’s newest director aims to increase interaction with the UNC community through education. She has led the creation of ART&, a “converted gallery space where individuals or groups can gather to drink coffee, hang out or do homework.” With an abundance of art and coffee available, the hipster that lies dormant in all of us will hopefully run wild.

IN A WEEK-LONG HALLOWEEN

Halloween is on a Monday, so let’s all agree to make it a week-long event to make up for it. Sound good? Great. There are plenty of ways to get started and plenty of people planning to indulge in seven days of spooks and scares. For example: Hawfield’s Haunted Forest, the Haunted Forest at Panic Point and the Hollywood Horror Show. Now, you can celebrate all week if you don’t want to rage on the 31st.