DTH at a Glance

DTH at a Glance: In it for the snacks

A consistent theme among DTH social media managers is that as hard as we try, we are all very, very confused when it comes to football.

I think I speak for all of us when I say I don’t really know anything about the way the game works. I know the ball needs to get to to our side of the field, and I know I should scream and boo when everybody else does. When you see me doing cheers and songs, it’s safe to assume that the cogs upstairs aren’t turning at all and I’m probably clueless about what just happened.

To be perfectly candid, I’m all in it for the sweet tailgating snacks. As Swerve suggests, put me in front of some chips and dip while belligerently drunk UNC fans shout all around me, and I guarantee you I’ll be in my happy place.

— Tiana

QUICK HITS

• Donald Trump requested a 5+ hour reservation, personal tour guide and media coverage for a visit to the International Civil Rights Center & Museum in Greensboro. He was denied.
  • Family members are remembering the life of Darlene McGee this week as trial starts for former UNC student Chandler Kania, who has been charged with three counts of second-degree murder after a car crash involving McGee and two others.
  • Almost 15,000 people and a hundred art vendors participated in this year’s Festifall, which included new features like photo booths, a living statue centerpiece and food trucks.
  • UNC fall aesthetics: Pumpkin Spice Lattes, confused-weather fashion and tailgates. UNC tailgate aesthetics: Bojangles’, buffalo chicken dip and probably a lot of drinking.

IN GETTING A KICK OUT OF FOOTBALL

Nick Weiler brought crowds of Tar Heel fans to ecstasy at the end of Saturday night’s game against Florida State University. With four seconds left on the clock and UNC down by one, the senior kicker delivered a 54-yard, game-winning field goal. Bonus: Just before he attempted the kick, Mitch Trubisky made sure to say "I love you no matter what," which is the sweetest thing I think I have ever heard. :')

IN MADAGASCAR 4: ESCAPE FROM NORTH CAROLINA

Bison roamed free in one North Carolina town after severe flooding hit the area. The protocol at the local zoo in Windsor, N.C. is to release certain animals into town two days before anticipated flooding — so essentially, reverse Noah's Ark. “They don’t bother anybody as long as nobody bothers them,” said Billy Smithwick, Chief of the Windsor Fire Department. Honestly, I’m a human and I’m the same way.

IN MARRIAGE AND MAGISTRATES

A federal judge dismissed a lawsuit filed against Senate Bill 2, which allows magistrates to refuse to marry couples if it intrudes on their religious beliefs. The lawsuit objects to part of the bill stating that taxpayers’ dollars be used to bring in a magistrate from another county if all magistrates of one county object. The six plaintiffs included couples of interracial and LGBTQ identities.

IN JESUS FEMINISM

DTH audio director Alice Wilder talked to Canadian blogger and preacher Sarah Bessey, author of “Jesus Feminist: An Invitation to Revisit the Bible’s View of Women” and “Out of Sorts: Making Peace with an Evolving Faith." They discussed forgiveness, privilege and how to navigate conflicts that arise when faith and feminism come into contact.